Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
This is just a guess, but it may be possible.

According to Greg Godwin, the iMac is gone. It is being replaced by a new system, currently unnamed. We are calling it the 'new iMac,' and is powered by the G4 chip.

Okay then, lets put this together: If the 'new iMac' is powered by the G4, then the Quicksilvers are useless. (because, according to greg, the 'new iMac' has all the bells and whistles of the Quicksilver) So, maybe Apple is moving to ONE system. No PowerMacs. No iMacs. ONE Apple.

Sound crazy? Probably. Am I wrong? Probably. But lets at least toy with this. I dont think any of the rumor sites have picked this up yet, so maybe I am right.

Apple wants to promote the digital hub, right? What better hub than the 'all in one' Apple? What if Apple makes this thing so expandible that it meets all of any consumers needs, whether home or professional use? This solves the problem many have mentioned about powering a 'iMac' with the G4, that the quicksilvers will go down in sales. Well, what if Apple only offers this new computer? Then, in mid 2002, they offer this system with the G5, and you will have two different chip options in the same line. Half the production costs, twice the sales.

Im not talking about a little dinky iMac here. Im talking about Steve Jobs putting his nuts on the line and producing a powerhouse 'all in one' Apple that will fly an f-16. Apple used to be a 'one machine' company, and maybe its time to go back to that. If its expandible enough, and powerful enough, I think this could possibly work.

Go ahead and rip this idea apart, because I want to see if it could stand up to it.

greg godwin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
The distinction between the new successor to the iMac and the PowerMac will still exist. The PowerMac will remain modular (with a new emphasis towards a total wireless system). G5 will be a new PowerMac line. G4 the new iMac/unnamed line.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Oh well.

It WAS a good idea anyway. I sure am eatin' up all this hype.

he he

OSUbuckeyefan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2001
Originally posted by agreenster
This is just a guess, but it may be possible.

According to Greg Godwin, the iMac is gone. It is being replaced by a new system, currently unnamed. We are calling it the 'new iMac,' and is powered by the G4 chip.

Okay then, lets put this together: If the 'new iMac' is powered by the G4, then the Quicksilvers are useless. (because, according to greg, the 'new iMac' has all the bells and whistles of the Quicksilver) So, maybe Apple is moving to ONE system. No PowerMacs. No iMacs. ONE Apple.

Sound crazy? Probably. Am I wrong? Probably. But lets at least toy with this. I dont think any of the rumor sites have picked this up yet, so maybe I am right.

Apple wants to promote the digital hub, right? What better hub than the 'all in one' Apple? What if Apple makes this thing so expandible that it meets all of any consumers needs, whether home or professional use? This solves the problem many have mentioned about powering a 'iMac' with the G4, that the quicksilvers will go down in sales. Well, what if Apple only offers this new computer? Then, in mid 2002, they offer this system with the G5, and you will have two different chip options in the same line. Half the production costs, twice the sales.

Im not talking about a little dinky iMac here. Im talking about Steve Jobs putting his nuts on the line and producing a powerhouse 'all in one' Apple that will fly an f-16. Apple used to be a 'one machine' company, and maybe its time to go back to that. If its expandible enough, and powerful enough, I think this could possibly work.

Go ahead and rip this idea apart, because I want to see if it could stand up to it.

Very interesting idea. I'm just wondering about the low-end market. I've heard it said that apple really needs a very low-cost solution to compete. Does your idea account for that? If it does, you might be on to something!

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
I had just thought that a low end solution would be a low end G4, the 'bottom of the barrel' 'new iMac.' Then, according to your needs, you could upgrade the processor (when buying---not as an upgrade--Im not starting THAT rumor) all the way up to a G5, but still in the All In One digital hub.

OSUbuckeyefan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2001
Originally posted by agreenster
I had just thought that a low end solution would be a low end G4, the 'bottom of the barrel' 'new iMac.' Then, according to your needs, you could upgrade the processor (when buying---not as an upgrade--Im not starting THAT rumor) all the way up to a G5, but still in the All In One digital hub.

It would indeed be nice to see something with lots of expandabiltiy...

trinitishwar

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2001
Gainesville, Fl
This was posted at think secret this morning:

The new imac design will include:

*15" flat panel display
*Built into rear of display is 866 mhz to 1.3 gigahertz G3 processor; 256 mb RAM standard; 20 to 40 gig hard drive; 133 mhz bus standard; female proprietary apple multiconnect port; airport card standard; stainless steel & grey rubber stylus; lithium polymer batteries built into 2 sides of display.
*Unit will be detachable from a compact base with: built-in airport card (acting as a base station) standard; DVD,CD/R, Combo Drive option; standard ports include ethernet, 1 firewire, 2 usb, modem; male proprietary apple multiconnect port.
*Unit will include a special revision of Mac OSX to enable Inkwell input via stylus & virtual keyboard. Unit can only operate as a tablet computer using OSX.
*In tablet mode, battery power can last from 5 to 7 hours, depending on level of usage.
*Unit is designed for home users requiring desktop power & connectivity but desiring portability for internet & light data processing applications.
*Unit is not designed to replace other more traditional portables as it does not have usb, firewire, ethernet, or modem ports on the tablet itself.
*Demo software from nearly 30 major software developers (Claris, Adobe, Microsoft, etc) will be included on the hard drive (& on CD's) & full versions can be created instantly with activation via a new applestore web page.
*Full versions of Appleworks, iMovie2, iTunes 2, iPhoto, & up to 5 undisclosed games (rated 'E' for everyone) will be included.
*Optional accessories include: an Epson printer/scanner bundle that matches the new design's plastics, a Harmon-Kardon speaker/iPod bundle, and another yet undisclosed secret hardware bundle.

Hmmmmm.......

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
One Mac.....

I think having one Mac would be completely closed minded and a terrible choice for Apple to make. More than anything, having it's variety of consumer uses & needs is what's making Apple work these days. They need more entry level systems that are much cheaper than the high end systems to get across to more people. If they had one machine that would have to satisfy the needs of students in grade schools all the way to graphics & video professionals, they would be a world of trouble.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
And all of this for only .$???? . What are we talking, about $1499 for a base model? I like it, and I want one, so it can't be true. :)

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
trinitishwar

i just went to think secret and the last update was yesterday. it doesnt say anything about the lcd imac's specs. where did u get that?

i must say though, those specs are making me drool >:)~

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Check the forums. It was in there. It wasnt an official release by ThinkSecret.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by trinitishwar
This was posted at think secret this morning:

The new imac design will include:

*15" flat panel display
*Built into rear of display is 866 mhz to 1.3 gigahertz G3 processor; 256 mb RAM standard; 20 to 40 gig hard drive; 133 mhz bus standard; female proprietary apple multiconnect port; airport card standard; stainless steel & grey rubber stylus; lithium polymer batteries built into 2 sides of display.
*Unit will be detachable from a compact base with: built-in airport card (acting as a base station) standard; DVD,CD/R, Combo Drive option; standard ports include ethernet, 1 firewire, 2 usb, modem; male proprietary apple multiconnect port.
*Unit will include a special revision of Mac OSX to enable Inkwell input via stylus & virtual keyboard. Unit can only operate as a tablet computer using OSX.
*In tablet mode, battery power can last from 5 to 7 hours, depending on level of usage.
*Unit is designed for home users requiring desktop power & connectivity but desiring portability for internet & light data processing applications.
*Unit is not designed to replace other more traditional portables as it does not have usb, firewire, ethernet, or modem ports on the tablet itself.
*Demo software from nearly 30 major software developers (Claris, Adobe, Microsoft, etc) will be included on the hard drive (& on CD's) & full versions can be created instantly with activation via a new applestore web page.
*Full versions of Appleworks, iMovie2, iTunes 2, iPhoto, & up to 5 undisclosed games (rated 'E' for everyone) will be included.
*Optional accessories include: an Epson printer/scanner bundle that matches the new design's plastics, a Harmon-Kardon speaker/iPod bundle, and another yet undisclosed secret hardware bundle.

Hmmmmm.......

I see a problem! IBM has announced the G3 line-up, and it only goes to 1Ghz + not 1.3Ghz. Sorry to spoil things people

greg godwin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Yes, I believe the details of this portable device to be a hoax, or at least incorrect.

IBM are doing a G3 1 GHz, but its for mobile use in an updated iBook. Thats all... from now on, G3 is disappearing.

trinitishwar

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2001
Gainesville, Fl
Posted by Falleron:
I see a problem! IBM has announced the G3 line-up, and it only goes to 1Ghz + not 1.3Ghz. Sorry to spoil things people

Taking into consideration all of the other rumors floating around it may be that the processor is going to be a G4 or that it simply will not be as fast as was claimed. Other than that, it sounds entirely possible to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.