One of the best nights of my life...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kingsly, May 22, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Okay, so... I went to church, had lunch with friends, went to java & jazz and talked some more... but thats not the exciting part. I went home and began to check Macrumors... got to the main page and noticed the lights begin to flicker and then die. The main power relay for the entire neighborhood quite literally blew up. It was erie at first, all the neighbors were outside looking around and we heard all kinds of emergency sirens. Kinda like War of the Worlds or something. I walked down to see for myself and found some fire trucks surrounding a manhole in the street. The manhole was blown off and the asphalt around it was singed. As I turned to walk back I heard another explosion and turned in time to see a huge poof of smoke billow from the hole. Went home. This is where is becomes cool. No electricity... what does one do to entertain one's self? First off, I shut down my Mac. By now all the neighborhood kids were outside playing (funny and kind of sad that it takes a power outage to do that) and the adults were talking in little groups... socializing! With other human beings! :eek:
    We started a fire, covered every non-flamable surface with tea lights, and just hung out. No electronic devices. No TV. Nothing.
    We talked. I grabbed some guitars and an acoustic bass and we jammed. It was AWESOME. After dark we took a walk. Turned off the cell phone, and when I took my walk I (for the first time *ever*) left my iPod at home. There were no streetlights...
    walked down to a friends house, teepeed them, and invited ourselves in. Talked some more by candlelight and then went home. Had a salad for dinner. I did finally succumb to technology and watched 24 on my iPod.
    Went to bed by candlelight and listened to the rain (yeah, thats sunny southern california for ya!)

I know, not too interesting, right? "ohhh, I talked and played some music ant talked some more"

It wasn't what I did. Its what I felt.
    That feeling of no stress. No worries. No electronic devices to keep us busy and distract. that was the awesome part.
    I know for a fact that I would've sat in front of my computer for the better part of the night stressing about monday, or something like that.

its amazing how dependent on electronics to keep us busy. For the most part, they actually cause more stress and dysfunction, In my opinion.

Soo... I suggest that at least once a month, when work is piling up, stress takes over, and you just feel bogged down by life... go outside and throw the main breaker to your house. So you have to reset a few clocks? Its well worth it.

2. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    That sounds awesome and totally relaxing!

Funny how the things that are supposed to make our lives simpler contribute to the daily stresses. :)
  3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Took an explosion to teach me that.

*types this while sitting in a room with 30 G5's* :D
  4. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm glad you made the best of it, sounds like a great evening!

Just add: no texting and no cell phone calls and it sounds even better...
  5. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2006
    "I know, not too interesting, right? "ohhh, I talked and played some music ant talked some more"

I know exactly how you felt. I Love when the power goes out. It is so relaxing. All of a sudden you are in touch with your human nature again. It's like your mind is plugged into the computer, and when the power goes, it's released. I know how you felt... mostly.
  6. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, I forgot to add "turned off the cell phone, and when I took my walk I (for the first time *ever*) left my iPod at home."
  7. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    I love power outages. Such a different feeling.
  8. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Perhaps we should all move to a third world country... they get to experience the joy of frequent power outages almost every day! :D
  9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    That's the equivalent of ending a story with "... and then I found five dollars." I love it.
  10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Excellent...makes me miss the islands man.....well it use to be like that:(

11. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    If you want to reproduce this, I suggest investing in a hammock. You still have to want to escape though.
  12. stylum macrumors member

Jan 19, 2002
    Maybe we are technology/electronics dependent beyond a healthy level, and in a blackout we justify don´t feeling guilty of not using it...that´s might be the cause of relaxing.
    Too many psychology reading?:D
  13. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Or go surfing. :)
  14. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    I love power outages. It brings people together and creates such a sense of community.

Your lucky, I'm happy you enjoyed it.
  15. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Hm. For me it just brings on a huge wave of panic and then I go to bed. :D
  16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Interesting topic and thread, Kingsly. The basics of getting in touch with both oneself and others is pretty much what we're about. We had some of the neatest family times when living in a third world country with 10 months of "apagones" where the lights went off all times of the day for 3-4 hours. Candles and creativity filled the dark nights with some great memories. Glad to hear you made good use of your experience.
  17. cait-sith macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    Probably the same reason why camping is so fun -- no electricity, no technology.

I think I got into the wrong line of work.
  18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, I was going to say that's what camping sounds like.

And it's funny how when people go outside in situations like that, they're all willing to talk with their neighbours and socialize, hang out on lawnchairs, etc. Imagine if that were to happen when there's no power outage? No "event"? That would be unheard of. It could happen every day if we all tried, but instead, we lock ourselves in our house. :rolleyes:
  19. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Nov 14, 2005
    Danville, VA
    Yeah I love power outages too. I could never imagin living without my TV, computer etc.., but for some reason when your forced not to use them it is fun, and relaxing. Who here was affected by the Blackout on August 14, 2003, that affected like 1/2 the US. That was so much fun, we sat out in lawn chairs for most of the day and talked to my neighbors, I will admit we listened to the news on my Sirius radio in my car just to find out what was going on, but that was about it. We drove over to my aunts house and hung out for a while (she still had power, but still we didn't really visit her too much) the blackout made us think about visiting. And then of course theres the candles. Im a bit of a Pyro :) LOL
  20. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

*contemplates joining terrorists to blow up electric companies. looks at iMac*

I'll just cut the power once a month. ;)

I am thinking though... this summer... getting a bunch of carne asada on the grill... set up the projector to play a movie on the garage door... perhaps that'll draw the neighbors out?
  21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Meh, to get people to socialize in an entire neighbourhood, you'd need to knock out the entire power grid in your area.

And if you had a projector and a BBQ outside at night, I'm sure some neighbours would come, but only to file a noise complaint, you young whipper-snapper! :p
  22. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

Mar 23, 2003
    New England
    As a parent with young children, the place to be is the school bustop in the morning. All the gossip you care to hear is distributed there. Socializing and more for all the parents in the neighborhood.

Although, a power outage sounds great, also.
  23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I live in a new cul-de-sac. For the last 2 yrs we have rented a large tent for a weekend (did it this last weekend) and gathered the neighbors and talked all night.

Houses are getting larger and families are getting smaller, we tend to hide away in our houses.

Glad you made the discovery, little disruptions are wonderful wakeup calls.
  24. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    i ove that feeling. i would never own a blackberry....anyone can contact you at any time, anywhere on the planet.....the same goes for cellpohnes, to a lesser extent.....when everythin goes off, its great.

good wy to take a break, those are the best times.

25. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Where were you?

I tend to blow through books when I'm traveling. I mean, I blow through books while Im home, but I do twice as fast abroad. Also, I usually purchase some kind of indigenous instrument and try to learn it. The frequent power outages one experiences in places such as Albania certainly lend plenty of time to practice! :D