Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
OK I'm going to geek out here for a second. Sorry.
Below is a screen cap from the Sci-fi channel's Stargate SG1. On the work table you seen several devices. From right to left. First off we have what appears to be an Oscilloscope. (I could be wrong on that but it makes sense since in the epi they are trying to power an ancient device.) Next to that we have an ancient device that phase shifts matter into an alt dimension. Next to that we have in the foreground a Naquadah power generator. Naquadah is a mystery substance that has tremendous energy potential. Finally we have a Dell XPS 1710 system. One of these devices is rooted deeper in the realm of Sci-fi then the others. Can you guess which one?

If you guessed the XPS 1710 system you guessed right. While the others are pretty out there no one in their right mind, esp Sam, would EVER, and I MEAN EVER, take one of these pieces of [BLEEP] into the field. A toughbook maybe. Hell maybe even a Toshiba that has been ruggedized. But an XPS system? I can tell you right now that, that model that is sitting there is the most unreliable piece of garbage on the face of planet Earth. (I repair those things for a living.)
In reality what probably would happen is that Sam would be setting things up. She turns on her computer only to find no video. She spends 10 minutes dicking around with it until she figures out that the backlight on the display died. Or more likely the motherboard blew so it can no longer charge the battery. I've been seeing A LOT of those lately. She calls up SGC and get a new laptop. She gets it but doesn't finish her calculations before the Ori invade the planet and destroy her, and the village. After which the Ori go on to decimate Earth and the rest of the galaxy. All because SGC went in on a craptastic Dell computer that has no business in a mission critical situation. I'm all for product placements, well not really but that is a sep topic, but come on.

End of geeky rant.
new_alien.gif

XPS.jpg

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Well it looks pretty robust so I guess if all else fails it could be used as a blunt weapon..:D

iSaint

macrumors 603
Oooo, I played this with Sesame Street!

"One of these things
is not like the others.
One of these things just doesn't belong.

If you can guess which thing
doesn't belong
before I finish my song."

or something like that...

everyone knows there are no PCs in the future. It's all interactive chips implanted in your brain. You just think of what it is you want to know and it appears in your senses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.