Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAFC

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
Hello everybody,

I wanna know if when the power adapter is connected to an iBook, does the battery starts to charge automatically? If it does, wouldn't it affect the battery life?

Thanks!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
It will only charge if the battery is less than about 94% full, so as to avoid short charge cycles and therefore prolong the battery life. hope this helps.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Just to give some real-world perspective on this:

I'm tough on my batteries. I don't do any of the battery maintenance "tricks" like running them all the way down or not charging them when they're only partially depleted. I plug in when it's convenient and I run on batteries when it's convenient. Generally my batteries last about 2 years before they start to have difficulty holding a charge. When I can't get a good solid hour and a half of real-world battery use, I buy a new battery. For me, $100 every couple of years is worth not sweating if I'm going to wear out my battery whenever I plug/unplug my iBook. Generally after 4 years I'm going to replace the computer anyway, so I've only ever replaced the battery on a given laptop once.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
wordmunger said:
Generally my batteries last about 2 years before they start to have difficulty holding a charge.

That sounds about right. I'm the same with my PowerBook battery, I just charge or discharge whenever it's more convenient. However I do deplete the battery and recharge fully every few weeks.

rhb1899

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
aquajet said:
That sounds about right. I'm the same with my PowerBook battery, I just charge or discharge whenever it's more convenient. However I do deplete the battery and recharge fully every few weeks.

Hi there, I was reading this thread hoping it would cover a question of mine...

What ARE the proper "tricks" for taking care of your battery? can you just leave your laptop plugged in all the time? Should your shut your laptop down at all or just leave it in sleep?

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
What ARE the proper "tricks" for taking care of your battery? can you just leave your laptop plugged in all the time? Should your shut your laptop down at all or just leave it in sleep?
The best is to use as little cycles (full charge, full discharge) as possible, though keeping it calibrated. So probably leave it sleeping whilst plugged in. Once a month run it on battery until it automatically puts itself to sleep, then fully charge it. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
rhb1899 said:

Apple has a very informative Support Page that you may be interested in. :)

The "ideal" usage is actually similar to what wordmunger does. It's fine to leave the laptop plugged in to the power so long as you take it off every now and then. Plus, it'd be great if you could run it down once a month and then charge it fully up again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.