One song, multiple albums, what do you do?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by allisonv7, Mar 30, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

I was just wondering how everyone deals with a song that appears on more than one album? As far as I can tell there is no way to add multiple albums to a song and I really don't want to keep three copies of the exact same thing around.....for whatever reason this has driven me nuts for months whenever I had an album and I already have a song or two from it.

I'd love to hear whatever solutions you have to offer!! :)

allison.

2. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I always associate the song to the original album. I ignore Greatest Hits albums and things like that.

Not the best solution, I know, but it works for me.

3. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That's what I do too.

4. macrumors G3

Counterfit

For me, it depends. Sometimes they re-record a song for a new album, and then there are live albums (Metallica's S&M comes to mind) which will have more songs that are on other albums. Then, if you consider "classical" music, their are many many recordings of the same piece. I went through over 30 recordings of the third movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight" Sonata No. 14 (Op. 27 No. 2) before I found one that seemed just perfect to me (or at least as close as one can get, seeing as the composer died long before any of these recordings were ever made.) There are differences in tempo, phrasing, length of notes, etc. that influence the entire experience.

5. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I just keep the multiple copies. I like having complete CD's on here. Many are hard to find, and they are therefore little signs of my accomplishment in finding them :).

6. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

indeed...but if the greatest hits album cover looks better then i get the most pleasing to my eye.

Bless

7. Guest

calculus

I usually leave the duplicates on as sometimes i want to play the original albums and sometimes the 'Greatest Hits'. One possibility if you only want the song once is to make a playlist of the 'Greatest Hits' tracks.

8. macrumors 6502a

fistful

I use the same method as grapes911 except if it is a rerecording, remaster, alternate or live version of the original song.