One thing I hate about Apple

Discussion in 'Community' started by tekmoe, Sep 23, 2005.

1. tekmoe macrumors 68000

i absolutely hate the term "genius." i know it is used to identify apple techs, but why did they have to choose genius? why not super techs or power techs? hell, why not just the term techs? why genius?

definition of genius: A genius is a person with distinguished mental prowess. This can manifest either as a foremost intellect, or as an outstanding creative talent. The term also applies to one who is a polymath, or someone skilled in many mental areas. The term does specifically apply to mental rather than athletic skills, although it is also used to denote the possession of a superior talent in any field; e.g., one may be said to have a genius for golf or for diplomacy.

i guess i am going off the deep end. not sure why. i just hate the term they use. i would hate to have to tell my friends "oh, i am taking my powerbook to a genius at the apple store." laaaaaaame.

i am a pc tech for a living and i would definitely never call myself a genius. the term genius is reserved for people like einstein, not apple techs.

ok, rant over. just had to get that out of my system. i know i will get bashed, but i hope there are others who feel the same way as i do. :eek:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Clever marketing -- sounds good. Besides, to most people they are geniuses.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Some of the apple geniuses i have talked with do have an outstanding talent

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    From a purely linguistic standpoint I agree with you. But I'd also cringe if I said I was taking it to the power tech (and what would iBook owners do?) ;)

But given the people you usually see at the Genius Bar, you can say that the staff behind it have a superior knowledge of Macs than those in front so justifying the word.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, the marketing aspect is genius.
    I'm sure they wanted something that was not ordinary or bland, but had a 'flare' to it.

WOF WOF – DAWG [​IMG]

6. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

They'd take it to the iDude.

A

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

and some of them... well... don't. :)

8. qzak macrumors 6502

I agree tekmoe. this is something that has always gotten under my skin to. Yes, it's marketing, but with the way Apple comes off to some people (the whole 'We're better than you, your not worthy' type thing), the whole Genius thing has always annoyed me. Everytime a friend has come with me to the Apple store and has seen the Genius Bar, they all give funny looks, ask what the hell, and just laugh and say yeah ok when I tell them what it is. It's the one part of the Apple store I don't show off.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think it is all in fun... not meant to be "in your face".
    To me, it supports the playful side of Apple, and mocks the establishment.
    Goes with the whole 'Think Different' mentality.

Doesn't bother me in the least, and I love to go to my Apple store

WOF WOF – DAWG [​IMG]

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Besides, it's a great way to get chicks. I mean, if you get asked what you do for a living and you say that you are a computer techie, it's over. But if you say, "I'm a professional genius," it's far more likely to start a conversation.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's like how people throw around the term "guru" for anyone who knows more than they do about a topic.

As for Apple applying genius to their techs, well, I think it's all in good fun. But if I'm going to the "genius", they'd better know more than I do about my Mac!

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't believe you guys even bothered with this thread.

Lets look at all the words that are used in product names, but not 100% correctly. If Tekmoe had his way, every laptop would simply be called "laptop."

Lets start with PowerBooks, the iPod Nano, Airport Extreme and Express, etc^100000

The end.

13. qzak macrumors 6502

i dunno, i'm in college, i work full time during the summers, part time during school as a pc tech at a company. i tell girls i meet what i do, they say oh thats cool, i wish i knew something about computers, i get lost on those things. we laugh, then keep talking about other stuff. and no, they're not nerdy girls.. i live between two sororities, they're some good looking girls.

14. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

so...correct me if i am wrong, but it sounds like you are implying that the apple genius' are just another product of the apple corporation?

15. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Um - aren't they just that? Apple sells their services via "Genius Reservations" through the paid Apple ProCare. Yes, the Geniuses are in fact Apple products. You could also look at it like this, A job is renting your life for X dollars (pounds, whatever) per hour. During those hours you essentially belong to the company - many corporate employees (Apple included) sign non-disclosure statements and everything they do on company time is property of the corporation. You work under these circumstances and you are essentially product/commodity and are only valued for your level of production.

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Go to the iDude at the iStore (off Diggnation) :cool:

17. mpw Guest

I agree, and how dare they call themselves 'Apple' when they are clearly not tree bourne fruit. :mad:

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

...it's like you've known me forever!

And if they weren't called GENIUSES, playing "stump the genius" wouldn't be very fun.

What, "stump the iDude?" "stump the Techie"

Yea... stump the genius is much more fun...
    (I WON ONCE! YEA!!)

19. iGav macrumors G3

I think 'Tool' would've been more appropriate myself.

20. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

That is true. From conversations I've overheard, there is a clear difference in their respective abilities to explain something to mere mortals. The genius word seems to inject attitude into how some interact with customers.

Any of them know tons more than me and I commend those employees who do their job with a high degree of confidence coupled with a pleasing personality, but the same cannot be said for those who are condescending and give icy glares when basic questions are posed.

21. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Genius isn't a word I take lightly, either.

But it's not my vernacular. It's Apple's. And it's Apple's marketing, specifically. I'd call my employees geniuses, too, if it would boost our image, even subconsciously.

22. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

But of course you bothered :rolleyes:

Which now posses the terms: power tech, nano tech, extreme tech or express tech

23. Lau Guest

Loving iDude and Tool.

Tekmoe, couldn't you just say to your friends that you're taking your computer to the "computer tech"? :confused:

I do know what you mean, but you don't have to use the term unless you want to. Unless Apple have a far more sinister agenda than I have ever given them credit for.... :p

24. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

To so-called Geniuses at the Apple Store in London are, in my experience, just arrogant, condescending people with a very average knowledge of the Mac OS, who assume their customers are idiots. That's all there is to it.

25. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

How bloody rude of them! Give an Average Joe or Jane a title with the word genius in it and before you can say England swings, they think they are a step away from being prime minister.