Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClearRPG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I need to go into startup disk in system preferences so I can boot from my Macintosh HD. I am currently running on my external HDD, it will not let me unlock it without typing in administrator pass and user. I am the admin on my other HDD. I am the only user on this so.. I do not have administraor privileges but cannot change it because I cannot unlock it. What do I do? What do I type in to make changes in system preferences? Will I ever be able to run off my internal Hard Drive again? help please!

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
it asks for your password as a security feature. I'm the admin on all of my systems and it still asks me to type in my password. it's just there to prevent anyone else from messing with the system. As long as you are the administrator, your password should work.

Alternatively, if you boot and hold down the Option key, it will give you a list of bootable devices and allow you to boot from your internal drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.