Ongoing New Apple Owner Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Advance The Man, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

How do you arrange all open windows? I was able to press the fn + F7 key and it did it for a few days. Did I turn this capability off accidently?

On Safari I want to open a link to a new Safari page. With Windows Explorer I right click 'new' and it does this. When you 'Apple - N' that manually opens a new window with whatever your start (home) page is, but how do you open a link to a new window.

Has to be a way. Why there is only one 'clicker' on the mouse, instead of two or even three, I don't know.

Also on Safari, the delete button goe back to the previous page - what shortcut button allows you to go forward?

On Explorer (Windows) I was able to hit the back button and the last several pages I visited would 'drop down' from a list. I could then skip many pages backwards to select. Is this feature available on Safari?

Also, I was trying to save a pix on a website. With Windows Explorer I would right click and press 'save as'. On Apple you click on it and it doesn't do anything. How would I save a pix?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't open new windows... that's not good... enable tabs, and enter the world of tabbed browsing... (Look in Safari preferences -> Tabs)

If you cmd-click (hold down the cmd key (= Apple key) when clicking a link) it will open in a new tab... (you can open a new, blank tab by pressing cmd-T)...

...or ctrl-click (hold down the ctrl-button while clicking = right-click) and use the menu to open link in new window...

(...or just get a two-button USB mouse and right-click...)

Try cmd-rightArrow for forward and cmd-leftArrow for back...

Check out the History-menu...

...or ctrl-click the back- or forward-button... or just click and hold for a second, which, in most Mac apps, brings up the same context menu that right-/ctrl-clicking would...

Try ctrl-click... to save image another place than "default download location" (aka Desktop, if you haven't changed it) hold down the option key (= alt), too...

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    In Safari or in general? Are you trying to work in multiple windows or just see what they are? If the latter, then just use expose. If the former, it may depend on which application you are working in. There will usually be an option under the Windows menu along with the appropriate shortcut.

I refer you to my honourable friend above with another exhortation to use tabs. Wonderful! The new link will open and download in the background while you carry on finishing the page you're reading.

In addition to the above, you can just hold and click on the back button and you'll get a list drop down of the last 10 pages or so. If it's further back than that, using History is ideal - you can get back to any page.

Again, in addition to the above, you can just pick up the picture and drag it to the desktop (or your HD and use the spring loaded folders to drop it in the appropriate folder).

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Adding to what others have said, hold Apple(Command) and click the link to open in a new tab. Hold Apple and Alt(Option) to open the link in a new window. And add the Shift key to the above keystrokes to make the link open in the background.

(If you can't remember all these, ensure the status bar is visible, and as you hold the buttons the status bar will tell you where the link will open).

5. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Damn I really wanted to help on this one because I actually knew all of the answers but you guys beat me to it. :D

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They're good, aren't they.

Don't worry, there'll always be another newb. :)

7. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

No not a new newb, me! I will have several questions over the next few weeks. Unfortunately, I leave the Apple at home or I won't get any work done here at the office on my Windows 2000 machine.

Thank you all for the answers. I'll preface this, I know I have and will be asking stupid questions, but I swear I'll only ask them once b/c I do catch on quickly!

Regarding Expose, in layman's terms what is it and how do I use it?

8. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

That's it, i'm going on a newbie hunt :)

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Expose is basically a way to see everything, something, or nothing very quickly. Each of the options requires a single keystroke. However, by going to system preferenes, you can also enable hot corners (just as you can for screen savers). Anyway, by everything, I mean that you can see all open windows, for all applications. Something, I mean all open windows for one application (default is the current, but tab will cycle). The windows will all lay out in front of you, allowing you to choose that which is the one you want. When you select it, everything comes back together with selected on top. For your assistance, the windows all show what is going on in them, and when you are on top of a window, you can see the name of the window - giving you two methods of ID. By nothing, I mean that the last keystroke/hot corner causes all windows to pull away to the side of the screen, revealing the desktop. This allows you to access anythign you have recently downloaded, you HD, anything that would normally be buried several layers deep (kind of like the "Show Desktop" button on windows, but more and quicker). I think the default keystrokes are F9-F11, but I am not sure - I have them set differently.

I know that was kind of longwinded, but I hope it helps. Also, I believe the back/forward keys that you should remember for safari are cmd+[/]. The arrows will not work if you are in text field - they will send you to the beginning/end of the field.

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ha Ha. You missed again! :D

11. mac-er macrumors 65816

Expose is an ingenious way to manage your open windows and desktop.

If you hit F9, every open window, in every application will shrink to show you all of your open windows. Then hit F9 again to go back to your active application/window. Or click on the window you would like to use.

If you hit F10, every window in the active application will shrink down to show you only the active windows in that application. Agaih, hit F10 to go back to the active window, or click on one of the windows.

If you hit F11, all the active windows will clear off the desktop so you can see what is on the desktop (and you can use the Finder, etc while the windows are off to the side..to manage files, etc). Hit F11 to go back to the active window.

You can also activate hot corners to take the place of the function keys. Go to System Preferences/Expose.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive about the newb thing. I meant it as a general term for all the people who ask questions about Mac stuff (including me some of the time :p ).

As for Expose, open some windows from many different apps and then press F9, F10 or F11. The best way of discovering Expose's immense greatness is to use it, it's really far too hard to explain well.

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

..and there are a variety of extras with Expose:

If you hold the Expose buttons instead of pressing them, Expose will stop when you release.

If you hold shift, it animates in slow motion.

If you tab, it cycles through your launched apps one by one (Shift-Tab to reverse).

You can also Cmd-Tab when in Expose to go to any specific app's windows.

You can drag an item (such as a file in Finder), bring up Expose then hover over a window to drag into that window.

If you have a LOT of windows open, you could try something complex like this: start dragging a file, bring up Expose (F9), then Cmd-Tab to bring up the application switcher, drag the file onto the icon of the app you wish to drag to, and release Cmd-Tab, then drag to the window you wish to drag to and hover over it, then release.

I really like the way Expose and the Application Switcher combine so well.

14. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I wasn't offended at all :) I am a member of several forums and I am the definition of newb here at macrumors.com!

Within these few posts, I've already learned more than I have owning the PB since April 16th! Look forward to trying out these tricks tonight. ;)

15. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Expose......it's like an.....erm....it's an application for making buns in the shape of badgers. Yes that's what it is! :p

16. fobishduck macrumors newbie

Mr. Advance... I hope you don't mind my raising some questions on your thread. This way, the newbies can just look up a single thread (at least the class of newbies this month :D). If you do, just PM me, I'll open another one. No problem....

I just got my 12" pb - Apple certified, 1.33G... Anyway, I wanted to ask, is it normal for the left palm side of the lappy to be warm? It's tolerable, but if I type for 10 minutes straight (in one of those rare occasion where I can hardly cotain myself), my palm will sweat. Another thing. Does it pay to buy one of those screen saver thingy (thin cloth to put between keyboard and screen when you close the lid)?

By the way, I'm still confused about the Expose thing. I'll google it or search this forum. If I'm still lost, I hope you guys don't mind me asking some detailed questions later on...

Thanks in advance...

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mind? You're like newbie of the month for actually replying to a thread instead of starting a new one! :D

Yes, unfortunately the heat is normal in that location. The powerbook will dissipate heat notably better if its on a hard surface or on a stand or something, than on top of carpet or a couch or your lap or something else soft. (he says as he types on the couch.) But it is normal.

The screen saver thingies...depends. If you are concerned about smudges, then go for it. But the smudges will clean off easily with water on tissue or cloth -- just don't let them accumulate for months before cleaning them! :) If you're worried about hmmm...cracking your screen? Don't beat your PB that hard! :D

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think mad jew had the best suggestion (post 12). Just play around with expose whenever you have some time. You really can't screw anything up, and you will learn an immense amount by just experimenting. As you can see, everybody has a different way to explain Expose.

19. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

So you cant specify a destination folder when your saving something? ...... and whats a "spring loaded folder"? :eek:

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you drag a file somewhere, try holding it over a folder name or icon for a couple seconds. The folder will pop open. There're some limited similar functions in Windows with the task bar.

21. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I don't have a Mac .....yet ;)

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well that's still the answer as to what it is. ;) In Windows, try dragging the icon of a file to a minimized folder's taskbar tab/button/whatever. It should un-minimize the folder. The effect is basically the same but it works much more broadly in OS X than in Win from what I've seen. Also, if you pop open sub-folders to go digging for where you want to place something, they will automatically go away when you're done, so you're not left with a mess of open folder windows. :)

But I'll ask a newbie-ish question myself: is there a way to use spring-loaded folders to navigate to ../ (one directory up) from within any folder?

23. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

Cool!! I've been using XP for a year and a half, and never knew that! :cool:

24. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I'm using Windows ME.....have been for the last 4 years. :eek:

25. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you just ctrl-click (aka right-click) then, from 10.3.9, the only option is to save the image to default location...

If you want to specify the location folder for saving images, you need to hold down the option key (alt key) when you ctrl/right-click, then you'll get the "Save as..." option and can save the image wherever you want...

Or, as mentioned earlier, you can just drag the image out of your browser onto the desktop or, and here is the spring loading useful, to any destination you want...

Other stuff you download with a simple click, will go to your download folder... and if you ctrl/right-click a link to something downloadable (is that even a word) you get a Save Linked File to <download location> or Download Linked File, but - again - if you hold the option/alt key down, this changes to Save <whatever> as.../Download Linked File as... and you may choose destination...

(Mind you, I'm not using Safari... this is no problem in Firefox... ;))