Ongoing violence against Burmese Muslims

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Fazzy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

With the situation in Burma getting even worse than ever previously imaginable, why is there a largely self imposed media blackout?

Source- BBC

Is that not exactly as hitler did?

2. macrumors G4

skunk

Because everything is supposed to be hunky dory now that Aung San Suu Kyi is free. Don't want to jeopardise any contracts, don't you know?

3. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I to agree that the European Union should hold Burma to the same standards as they did when they protested about Aung San Suu Kyi house arrest.
    Since her release, the EU has gone soft on human right in Burma, I would imagine big fat contracts somewhere in the background.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Its funny how those most vocal in other threads (especially those leaning towards the right) refrain from commenting on this. Is it because this isn't a worthy enough issue? Violence far from home doesn't matter?

5. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well this is the first I've ever heard of this. Yeah its terrible. Buddhist on Muslim violence is a new one for me. Although there are atrocities happening all over the world, folks can't comment on everything even in the little world of the PRSI. So, I wouldn't make so many assumptions based on the thread thats just barely a day old.

6. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I bet many Buddhists in Burma are afraid that the Muslims will take power and persecute all the rest. You know, the way Christians have been treated in in Malaysia and Indonesia. Should be enough to cause islamophobia in the rest of the region too.

Although at first I was puzzled that a Buddhist monk would compare someone else's religion with a tree that destroys the pagoda, I understand the sentiment behind.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well although the violence has been going on for the better part of a year, its been largely unreported by the main channels.

I stand by the comment I made. This thread has been just as high up in PRSI as the others yet gets one or two replies. Even the most vocal MR commenters who are seen in every other thread have refrained from commenting, which is a little surprising. Its not like the issue at hand is irrelevant. I'd argue it was more important than the value of gold and what the Boston Bomber's mother thinks of the authorities.

Really? They're 'afraid'. Last time I checked, paranoia wasn't a reason to kidnap children, hack them to death and burn their bodies. Or didn't you read that part?

In fact, when was the last time a particular Austrian fellow with the initials AH started to demonise a particular social group for doing 'too well' in the community, what did it lead to?

8. macrumors 68000

VulchR

On this point we agree.

...:eek:

EDIT: The BBC broadcast a lecture by Aung San Suu Kyi and interestingly she said that she did not resort to violence because it was not practical, not because it was unethical. In another interview she describe her affection for the Army, because it was her father who built the Army. So... she's not a Gandhi after all. All in all, I have this vague 'Imelda Marcos' feeling about Aung San Suu Kyi. Perhaps she's not greedy for money, but power-hungry? I think perhaps.

9. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Oh, I skipped that part because it was disrespectful to the team that I have decided to favor in this :rolleyes:
    But seriously, I already knew about it and I think it's horrible. No-one has the right to do the things mentioned. But if it wasn't for paranoia, it wouldn't have happened. Therefore it's obvious that paranoia has caused it, just the way paranoia caused several groups to get demonized in the 1940s. Good example, by the way.

Now, what has caused the paranoia? Would be a bit interesting to know, even though it's not an excuse, wouldn't it? There are many religious groups in Burma. How come the Buddhists there don't seem to be afraid of the Hindus, Animists or Christians or who live there?

I take it for granted that the actions cannot be excused. That doesn't mean that they were done randomly without a cause.

10. Fazzy, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps I read your original post wrong, but it seemed to give the impression that you believed paranoia was an excuse for their persecution. I'm glad that isn't the case.

On the other hand, the cause of the (arguably unjustified) paranoia is besides the point. The victims certainly didn't cause any paranoia.

This leads us to your final point; what caused this 'paranoia'? I don't actually believe that there is any. Nobody can reasonably, in this day and age can commit those levels of atrocities simply because of a perceived threat. As stated, the violence has continued for the better part of a year now, so any realistic threats on part of the Muslims are virtually implausible.

Not to mention, the Muslim population makes up about 4% of their population, further discrediting any notion of a Muslim takeover.

It is nothing more thn a far fetched thinly disguised reason for slaughter.

11. ijohn.8.80, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

That is different in different regions of Burma.

The original article says that there is a 30% Muslim population in Meiktila, where the article is about.

In Arakan where there is also tension, it's a much higher percentage.

http://www.islamicpopulation.com/asia/Myanmar/Burma%20Muslim.htm
    According to this article from back in 2005/6 by the USDS, the figure is more like 20%, nationwide. I can't find a more up to date figure.

It also mentions the Burmese government using agents provocateur within the Buddhist monks.

Being outside of the place, we can only go by the scant bits that get released to us. Then you have to try and sift through all the rhetoric and slant according to which media source you acquire your information from to get somewhere even close to the truth... :rolleyes: