Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Meh, it will be ok... Most htib (Home Theater in a Box) tend to use pretty inexpensive components. If you are willing to do your homework, research and listen to a lot of stuff you can do better by choosing you own receiver, speakers and subwoofer. But, you'll probably spend more money in the process. Whether that's worth it is up to you.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
The HT-S3400 has got a lot of good reviews on Amazon and Newegg.com. I think if you have never had a home theater system, you are not an audiophile and want an entry level system, it seems to be a great deal. I don't have one yet, but have it on my Christmas list.

One thing I have heard is if you do get it, go to monoprice.com and purchase some 16 gauge speaker wire.

Another plus is that the receiver allows you to hook up better speakers down the road if you want to, unlike the HTIB from Panasonic or Sony that only work with the packaged speakers.

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
The HT-S3400 has got a lot of good reviews on Amazon and Newegg.com. I think if you have never had a home theater system, you are not an audiophile and want an entry level system, it seems to be a great deal. I don't have one yet, but have it on my Christmas list.

One thing I have heard is if you do get it, go to monoprice.com and purchase some 16 gauge speaker wire.

Another plus is that the receiver allows you to hook up better speakers down the road if you want to, unlike the HTIB from Panasonic or Sony that only work with the packaged speakers.

Does the wire really make a difference???
Will this work? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008VF91/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

i have about 80ft of that cable sitting in my garage

Last edited:

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Will i loose any video quality if i connect my ps3 to this using hdmi instead of connecting it directly to my tv?

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Does the wire really make a difference???
Will this work? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008VF91/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

i have about 80ft of that cable sitting in my garage

Yes, the cable makes a difference. As long it is 16 gauge, you are good. If you already have that Monster Cable, that will work. I just wouldn't spend that much on wire, if you don't have to. Monster Cables are really a rip off.

You shouldn't loose any video quality connecting your PS3 via HDMI through the receiver, but like I said, I haven't got the Onkyo yet.

SuperMiguel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Yes, the cable makes a difference. As long it is 16 gauge, you are good. If you already have that Monster Cable, that will work. I just wouldn't spend that much on wire, if you don't have to. Monster Cables are really a rip off.

You shouldn't loose any video quality connecting your PS3 via HDMI through the receiver, but like I said, I haven't got the Onkyo yet.

well ill get it friday :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.