Online Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by muflyer, Sep 26, 2006.

1. muflyer macrumors member

I am looking to upgrade my iMac from 10.2.8 to Tiger and would like to back up my user information. Since I don't have an external HD, I was wondering if there are online sites where I can backup my user information which would be effective? My user info consists of approximately 58GB (some of which can probably be discarded). Any suggestions on whether that will work? Sites? prices? Is .Mac a possibility for this...not sure how much storage space they provide. Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Uploading 58GB (or even half that) on a regular home connection will take about one week short of forever and it'll cost you quite a bit to get that much online space. The standard .Mac amount of space is 1GB although most consider this overpriced.

I really recommend you buy a cheap external case and maybe a hard drive too. It'll serve you well in the long run. :)

3. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Bandwidth limitations placed on you by your ISP, if applicable, may also be a factor. My (admitably Nazi) ISP places a 200MB cap on my uploads per month so I can upload relatively little, let alone almost 60GB so this would never be an option.

If you really do have almost 60GB to backup then I would also suggest getting an external drive or finding another computer that you can temporarily backup your data to over a network cable. I personally have an old Windows PC upstairs that I only use these days for data storage.

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'd have to second mad jew and recommend an external drive. It'll be cheaper and you can never have enough storage! It will be useful for Time Machine too when Leopard comes out.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I second all the above posters, an external hard disk is the best solution. If you still want to go with online storage despite all the dire warnings, then Jungledisk is the cheapest I've found - uses the Amazon S3 service. Plugging your numbers into the calculator on the web page shows around $33 for what you want to do (Store 58GB + ~120GB data transfer (upload and download)). It will take a loooooong time though. Also this doesn't cover any ISP charges you might incur.

6. muflyer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the good advice. Any recommendations on an external HD which hits the sweet spot for price/performance?

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i just got a 300GB Maxtor and it has been working nicely (and it got good reviews from Consumer Reports, which is partly why i bought it).

i also have a 40GB LaCie mobile.

both companies have good products. Western Digital also has some good stuff. check newegg for good prices.