Online Colleges

Discussion in 'Community' started by monkeydo_jb, Oct 10, 2002.

1. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Input needed, por favor.

I have recently completed my AAS in CIS and am wanting to compliment my technical degree with a creative one.

Recently, someone from The Art Institute Online contacted me and their Multimedia and Graphic Design BS Degree program rocks.

There are no colleges around here that offer this caliber of program; plus I am tied down with a girlfriend in college here. I am easily self motivated so there's no problem there.

The best part is that 75% of the classes have to do with either multimedia or web design and my tranfer credits take care of the other 25% (core classes, blech!)

Anyway, just wanting some input from anyone who has taken classes from an online college or is older and wiser than I.

-jeff

p.s. If I do enroll my parents have agreed to pay half for a new TiBook :eek:

2. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Why dont you actually go somewhere?

Anything creative if gonna be hard to actually LEARN as oppossed to just getting a degree if its only online. You need to be there, have a professor there to help you.

Can you learn to paint from the internet? Sure....but how well?

All the masters learned as apprentices to painters.....they were in the company of them, watched them, learned from them.

I don't think online is the way to go for anything creative. I understand the whole gf thing.....but either, there are other fish in the sea, or it'll be hard for a little bit. But you gotta go somewhere man....you gotta live.

3. monkeydo_jb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply teabgs.

Your points are well placed and I have taken them into consideration.

The more fish in the sea comment is true but I have been with this chicky for 3 years and probably a lot longer.

I am excellent at being self taught, though. Once I get a good book (Photoshop 7: Classroom in a Book or Flash MX: Training From the Source) I don't put it down till it's finished.

My schedule is sooo busy, as well, so taking class when it's convenient is a major plus. I watched an online example of the normal school week for this program and it's very involved. Many teachers have their lectures via video or voice. Discussions are required as well as chatting.

I do have some of the same reservations as you mentioned. Any other comments? Thanks, again, for the response.

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I actually have taken several online classes and IF you are self motivated and adult enought to dedicate yourself to the material i believe that they are great for the right individual.

I can also speak about the Art Institutes as an organization as I graduated from there in 1999. They ARE NOT a "creative" school and you are not going to become a better artist or great designer with their program.. you will learn photoshop, html, illustrator and all the technical knowledge you want but you are not going to get a job at a reputible ad agency with this degree... but instead with your natural creative abilities.

If you want to be creative.. go to RISD, Savannah, or SFA in NYC... thats where the creative skills are taught.

The Art Institutes will give you a great degree on your schedule.. but thats all it is. A degree. You get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck with either decision. And congrats on deciding to continue your education. Thats an invaluable decision.

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Do you mean SVA? ;)

yeah.....SVA isnt so much technical stuff though...almost all creative...I know people there/who went there...very good draftsmanship. and creative....not as much technical know how....but if you can learn the programs yourself then why pay to do it?

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

yep. School of VISUAL arts. I hit the wrong key.... damn iBook keyboard. :) I'm used to the fullsized quicksilver.

Im considering going there for my masters. I can learn software from barnes and noble for a lot less. :)

thank bro.

-Chris

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

online is the future and will share duties with traditional education

duke university, harvard university, and columbia university all have full programs on the web...nuff said;)

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

but theres a difference between academics and the Arts....

with Art you kinda need to see it in action and have someone wtahc/help as you go so you dont get bad habits

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my wife got her bfa there twenty years ago

sva is one of the big five along with rhode island school of design, cooper union, pratt, and parsons

columbia university is on that level in art but much more well known for its other schools

go to www.schoolofvisualarts.edu for bachelor's and some master's level stuff and www.sva.edu for grad level stuff only

it's worth checking out and it looks like a good mix of traditional fine arts education and techinical based graphics education

they incorporated one of the nation's first master's in computer art...anyway, check it out for yourself:)

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

but i am not talking about sculpture or oil painting which i agree would need a teacher

but check out sva's computer art program at the second link i supplied and then we are talking how the power of distance education can help (i don't know if sva is online with their classes, but classes like programming could be taught online easier than sculpture and oil painting)

as time goes on, more schools will offer online classes and online degrees...i wish i was there when that was going on because when i went thru high school, college, and university, it was all class attendance based

for something not art, like mba programs, check out duke university

or for a master's studying computer/technical stuff, go to harvard university online

there are many others including computer related art and design