Online course for Cocoa programming

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by naveen, Jul 5, 2005.

1. naveen macrumors member

Hi all

I want to join online course for Cocoa programming. if anybody have idea then plz give the web link of that site.

Thanks and Regards

2. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Naveen,

There really is no such thing. Unfortunate, i know.

If you are really interested in learning Objective-C & Cocoa programming, i would highly recommend 3 things.

1. Get over to CocoaDevCentral (http://www.cocoadevcentral.com) and check out some of their articles and examples. They have some great stuff to get you hungry for more intense programming.

2. Buy and read "Programming in Objective-C" by Steven G. Kochan. It is simply the best book for learning Obj-C programming without a pre-knowlege of C.

3. After you have soaked up the basics of Objective-C, buy and read "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hillegass. It rocks.

Good luck with your programming adventures. You'll have fun.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The stuff at CocoaDevCentral is really good though sometimes they try to make things out to be simpler than they are (see their recent Cocoa Bindings and Core Data demos which try to convince you you don't have to write any code at all).

A couple of days ago I downloaded Apple's 'CoreRecipes' sample code (it's a Cocoa core data demo) and the full app included there is a lovely bit of advanced code. There's so many good ideas in it - I learnt a lot just reading the code. It's mostly Core Data based obviously but the best bits for me are the implementations of 'Smart Folders', the 'Predicate Editor' UI code and custom NSViews. There are also implementations of a Automator action and a Spotlight importer. The coding style is very clean as well.

It's definately not for beginners but I'd recommend anyone with a bit of experience to read it.

4. HiStOrY MaKeR macrumors newbie

it's not for beginners - how abt those who had Java Programming, VB.NET, ASP.NET experience.... is it easier to hop on to Cocoa?

5. mysticwater macrumors newbie

6. xStep macrumors 68000

Also look for the Stanford Programming courses on iTunes where can download videos of the classes.

Check lynda.com for Cocoa and iPhone courses.