Online DVD Rental Shops (UK)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FleurDuMal, Aug 30, 2006.

1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town

After enduring a pretty poor two months paid subscription with Screenselect, I am now looking to change to a different online DVD renting service. Does anyone else have any experiences with other services? I'd love some recommendations as I am now completely lost as to who is good and who isn't.

Just a word of warning to others: Although Screenselect, with its large customer base, huge selection and one month free offer may appear attractive, don't be fooled. After my free month ran out, they have been pretty dire. I am often waiting five or six days inbetween sending off a DVD and getting another one back - that's approximately three days hanging around their depot in London. I don't know if they're all like this, but the special service you get in your free month is a very cynical ploy and is not representative of the true standard of service you'll get when you start paying :(
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    They're all the same... LoveFilm use the same bait and switch techniques, giving you amazing service at first and then slowly throttling your supply over a period of months, measly parcelling out the dross on your list. I cancelled in the end.

If I was going to pick up with a new service, I'd be tempted to go for only because the terms and conditions are so clearly laid out and the limits made clear up-front. However, as I haven't subscribed to the service, I can't say how good it is.
  3. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Well, at least someone else agrees that they entice you in with a superb initial service. I thought I was just losing it or something.

My girlfriend was with Amazon for a free trial. Her service was superb, but she didn't continue it for some reason. The only problem with Amazon is that I think it's a wee bit more expensive than the others. Whereas the others give you 'unlimited' DVD's (although the true value of this is somewhat undercut by a slow service), I don't think Amazon do.
  4. StokeLee macrumors 6502

May 30, 2005
    Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
    Im using Tesco Dvd Rental at the moment, its ok. But its powered by Video Island. If you look at each of the rental options, youll find that they use other suppliers.
  5. Lau Guest

I was given a WHSmith pack for their online DVD rental, which I think is powered by Lovefilm. It was ok, and they were reasonably fast at delivery, but seemed to ignore the list order completely. The Motorcycle Diaries was at number one for months, and I still haven't seen the bloody thing. :p

We used Amazon for a while, and they seemed good, although we weren't really with them long enough to tell.

Our new flat has a letterbox so small, you can't fit a DVD through it even in the thin CD sized case. This annoys me. :mad:
  6. wingsky macrumors member

Jan 17, 2006
    I use amazon's DVD rental service.

I pay £10/month and get 6 dvds, the catches are that you can only posess 3 dvds at a time, but you get to hold on to them as long as you want.

I prefer amazon mainly because of their wider range of films - any hong kong films i can rent from amazon and it's very unlikely to be available from other rental places.

I've been renting from amazon for a few months now, no slip-ups yet.
  7. bgd macrumors regular

Aug 30, 2005
    I've been using LoveFilm for a few months and so far so good. Average 2 DVDs per week. Only issue I've had is one went missing and you have to wait so many days before reporting it lost. Otherwise fine but based on comments I'll keep an eye on service. And I agree that priority seems to make no difference at all.
  8. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Too bad you guys don't have Netflix over there. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread...hell, it might even be greater than sliced bread
  9. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I don't bother but my sister has been using LoveFilm for a while and I think she's quite happy with them.