Online EDU store - Student proof req. or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rbro, Jan 4, 2004.

1. rbro macrumors member

Can someone please clarify if there is some type of "proof" of being a student required to make a purchase through the Apple EDU online store? My wife is going to Sonoma State in the fall, but I'd like to just order my Powerbook in my name. I got as far as checkout without being asked for anything, but I don't want to get "busted" even though I could just have my wife order it.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Nope. There is no verification process. I've ordered several items through the online edu store, including my PowerBook, and have never been asked to verify my student status.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You are joking?????? *goes off to Apple edu store...*

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

So why doesn't everyone order through the online edu store?;)

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its the honor system; they do randomly check whether or your a student or not. In the plast i've read about apple sending bills in the amount of the discount to people they found cheated them.

on a happier note, people who ae accepted into a university are allowed to use the discount. She should be the one to order the powerbook because if you order it your defrauding a good program .... even though... whats to stop a parent from saying my daughter will be going to college in ten years i might as well order a computer thru the edu program now for her ... and use it myself till then.

also keep in mind apple is under no obligation to keep a program like this going, so if you abuse it now you may not be so lucky when shes actually a student or when you want to upgrade.

6. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Because some people have morals. Or they don't know about it. It's probably that they don't know about it...

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I was just joking about that one. I wouldn't cheat a company like that....even if it was microsoft.

Ona side note, do you have to be in college to use the edu store?

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

you have to be a college student , or a teacher basically

9. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I don't know about other countries ... But the Canadian EDU asks for University/College name, and student number

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

11. synergy macrumors regular

Government as well

I work for the Federal Government. Apple has discounts for federal employees as well too which is nice. I ordered 10.3 that way but they did not ask me for any proof of my being an employee. I would have gladly given them a photocopy of my employee ID if they wanted. I guess they probably run their random checks as well.

12. thetman macrumors member

when i go to the edu store (US version) i cn choose k-12and i put in my zip code and choose my school from the list. "Choose one of these options if you are making a personal purchase and wish to take advantage of Apple's educational discounts." this is what it says before i choose my school, im in high school but will be attending uni next year and need a laptop and want anapple product. would it be "immoral" for me to purchase this just a little ahead of time (like 3-4 months). or should my father a govt employee purchase for me (is that any cheaper?)

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Im guessing it will be the same price no matter which way you do it--student or governemnt. I'd say get your dad to do it because they might do a random check and find out that you are still in high school. I don't think it would be inmoral since you are not abusing the system, but I do beleive it would run a risk.

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

It would be disappointing if this EDU discount got cancelled because of abuse ... This is similar to the developer discount available ... apple doesn't have to offer this .. it is nice they do ...

I'm gonna make good use of this program being a student now ... and probably order some stuff at the end of my tenure at the college i'm at to load up on some sweet apple hardware ... oh ya :)

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

as soon as your accepted into a university your allowed to use this discount, if they wanted ID they would just ask you to fax over your acceptance letter. If your attending university in the fall you'll definately have the letter by those 3-4 months or get your dad to order it for ya ...

16. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'm pretty sure you have to actually be enrolled in classes in order to qualify for the higher education discount--simply being accepted doesn't qualify you for the discount.

17. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I was asked to fax my student ID, they wouldn't have shipped product otherwise. On a sidenote, I think the Government discount is somewhat less than the edu discount, thus you probably fare better with the student discount.

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

nope. apple is smart enough to know that the market for computer and kids moving away to college is too great to ignore .... heres the proof

Attached Files:

• edu.jpg
      edu.jpg
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
  19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You don't have to been a student to get the EDU discount you just have to know a higher Ed student willing to let you mention their name. All that has to happen is their name has to be listed somewhere in the billing or shipping. You can have it shipped to them c/o you or the other way around for example.

I know this because my wife is in school but I am not and I have ordered 3 computers from Apple through her and have had talks with the Apple sales people over the phone on the proper way of doing it. Apple wants people to get the discount to encourage them to make purchases so they make it easy to get.