Online gaming console - help needed!

Discussion in 'Games' started by weiss, Oct 12, 2006.

1. weiss macrumors member

Hi guys!

I'm thinking about getting myself a Macbook to replace my current laptop PC. It'll be my first Mac if I end up buying it! Okay, so far so good. The thing is: Macbook's graphics card isn't the best thing out there and, even though I'm not a hardcore gamer (actually, I haven't played anything for ages), I like to play the occasional game and usually online.

So, here goes: I need a console to play a few games once in a while (like KOTOR 2 - which I never played but am curious about) and preferably online. What do you guys suggest?

Also, and sorry for being ignorant about these issues (I haven't had a gaming console since Nintendo NES!), are the console online gaming servers the same as the PC ones?

Thanks everyone!

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

KOTOR2 is only xbox and its 1 player and kotor 1 is the better story not that 2 is bad it just had a lot to live upto

3. weiss thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer. How about other games such as Jedi Academy or any other online entertainment?

4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

If you are looking for stwars games I loved republic commndo(We will come back for you SEV!!!!!!!!), sw battlefront2 was ok but Iliked the space battles in it. I would absolutely love to see a remake of xwingvtiefighter for xboxlive. Plenty of games are online on xboxlive...Just about everything Tomclancy related is just hours of enjoyment online and brotherrsinarms is the best ww2 shooter PERIOD (sorry call of duty is just boring). I enjoyed xmen legends and legends2 - the second one was just goofy fun online and looking forward to marvel ultimate alliance and justice league heroes. nhl2k series is a fast paced online. Hope that helps or at least gets you on your way...best o luck

5. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Totally agree. COD is great fun but doesnt hold a flame to Brothers in arms. However i belive he was asking about online games for a macbook. I dont know how you feel about wow but that is probably the most popular online computer game right now. Although ive heard some iffy things about running it on the new macbook. if you can spring for the macbookpro i highly suggest it especially for games. Since you seem to be a star wars fan check outt Star wars galaxies and if rpgs arent your thing, Jedi academy was pretty good for a 1st / 3rd person shooter and its online.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

KOTOR 2 is for the PC as well. ;)

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

For online console gaming the Xbox or Xbox360 are the only solid choices at this moment. The PS2 has no real online to speak of (the few online games have pretty poor communities in my experience) and I don't think the GameCube even has any online games.

If you count the two next-gen consoles coming out next moth, both of them *should* have pretty solid online experiences (haven't heard much from Sony though). But really, it all comes down to what games you want to play and how much you're willing to pay.

8. weiss thread starter macrumors member

I would get myself the Macbook Pro, but I want/need a smaller laptop... like a Macbook (or a Sony Vaio SZ2 for that matter, but I would like to switch to a Mac). That's why I started thinking about a console in the first place, because I don't believe the Intel GMA 950 is capable of much...

I've neved really played a proper RPG... but I have played Jedi Outcast and Jedy Academy, both pretty addictive and fun to play online :)

9. weiss thread starter macrumors member

But, from what I've heard, you need to pay to play the Xbox online, right? And the whole thing happens on Xbox dedicated servers... is that right?

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

For the 360, I think "Xbox Live Silver" is free, but to get all the features you have to pay for "Gold". Not sure if there's a free Live service for the original Xbox. I don't know about the servers.

Not that I'd recommend an Xbox, but options are kind of limited. I'm looking forward to the Wii myself, although for some reason Nintendo's not opening up their online service to 3rd party titles until 2007.

11. weiss thread starter macrumors member

I think that dedicated graphics on the Macbook would solve all my problems :rolleyes: