Online gaming on an Imac DV400

Discussion in 'Games' started by topspin, Jan 22, 2004.

1. topspin macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2004
    Dorset UK
    I've recently got a high-speed internet connection and was wondering if anybody could recommend some decent online games for my 2 1/2 yr old iMac on OS9.

I have Unreal Tournament (not 03) and it plays a superb 1 player game but if I try to go online it is unplayable - even with great pings. That should give some idea of the performance I get from my Imac when online gaming!

Any ideas on fps preferably but any genre will do...
  2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I played Diablo 2 a lot on my iMac DV 400. It's quite playable and a lot of fun.
  3. mangoduck macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2002
    lost at sea
    quake 3 will be decent with conservative settings, but you'll complain on servers with a dozen or more players and twice as many rockets in the air at a given time.

warcraft 3 is playable till your army converges with your opponent(s). then, not really.

starcraft plays well, even with several players. sprite based games, like diablo, will perform best.
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    War 3 will NOT be pretty; I've tried it. SC will run fine.
  5. topspin thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 22, 2004
    Dorset UK
    Thanks for the tips

Tried Warcraft 3 when it came out and it ran pretty bad.

I've already got Starcraft which is cool - never considered it for online gaming.

I'll give it a whirl.

6. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2001
    I recommend Age of Empires 2, it's a great game and runs fine on G3 iMac.
  7. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    Warcraft 3 is the best game ever!(next to halo), try Neverwinter Nights.
  8. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    He won't be able to run those at all, especially online. He might be able to run WC3 single player, but not multiplayer.

I'm surprised that UT does not run well for you, especially under OS9, since it does for me (400Mhz, 512MB RAM, iMac DV.) Ghost Recon is actually a game that plays fairly well on the iMac DV as long as you turn the options way down. Network play is great stuff. Like the other people have said, AoEII and SC are also great picks.
  9. PRØBE macrumors member

Jan 11, 2004
    Recommended games...

For GREAT online gameplay and fast FPS i strongly recommend Aliens vs Predator Gold. It's an old game with low system requirements (233 mhz i think), good graphics too but best of all is the adddictive fast paced action in multiplayer mode. It's a game that imo requires more skill and tactics than most basic shooters like Unreal/Quake. The fact that you can choose to be any of the 3 species adds a lot of variety. There is still a pretty active AvP community flourishing on Gameranger.

BTW. Be careful what you type in chat on Gameranger. I once made a joke about piracy(Im not a software pirate i hasten to add) and now ive been permanently banned. I was being ironic but i guess someone in GR admin is trigger happy with the ban button. (sigh) I still think it's a great service though and still free for the basic version. It's an ideal place to meet other players and set up can download it (the free version) at
  10. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    Don't confuse the poor guy! War3 barely ran good on a 1ghz iMac G4. I don't even want to think about how it would run on an old G3 iMac.

Starcraft and Diablo would probably be your best bets. Quake 1 and 2 should also be playable. Technically 3 should play OK on a 400mhz processor, but the horrible video card in the iMac (ATi Rage 128) really holds back the performance.

Like someone said before, sprite based games would probably run the best.