Online gaming question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dane D., Apr 18, 2005.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    Is there an advantage to higher faster cpu and decent video card while playing online games? My brother and I play UT GOTY online on low ping servers. I use a G3/300 Blue and White, 320MB RAM, stock ATi video card; while he uses a PC, AMD 1.8 GHz cpu,512MB RAM and ATi 9600 video card. We both use cable connection through ethernet. My ping is usually in 50's and his in the high 20's. My question is does the connection speed matter more or does machine specs with respect to any advantages that a faster machines has vs. a slower machine. Or is game play a combination of all factors?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Umm... You've gotta have a great system to keep up with the other players. But similarly, you've gotta have an OK ping so really it's a combination of the two. I suppose if you've got a great connection and a lousy machine you can turn the graphics down and still be quite competitive but if you've got a great machine and a bad connection there's not much you can really do... Sorry, I don't think this fully answers your question.
  3. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    For first person shooters, ping and framerate are what matter the most. Given your machine specs, framerate is most likely the problem unless you're playing Quake. Depending on the specific game, your brother's main advantage is is fast cpu, with graphics card and connection speed a close tie for secondary importance. A 300mhz G3 is such a bottleneck for any game less than 3 years old (maybe older) that getting a better video card or upping the ram should *not* make much of a difference. Probably one of the cheapest ways to boost your performance would be to hawk your g3 for a couple hundred and then get a 1.4ghz mac mini to use with your current monitor. Again, the mac mini has a crappy video card, but it's probably better than what you currently have and will give you high framerates at low resolutions.

I wouldn't spend any more than a few hundred on Apple products to play games though...
  4. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2004
    Your computer should Unreal Tournament just fine, naturally he has the newer, faster computer, so for a lot of games he'll have the advantage. Its kind of like having a Pentium II, against a G5... but for the origional UT I dont see that it would make THAT much of a difference, UT even runs on my schools Dells, and thats like... woah! Those Dells are 2 years old! And they can still handle relativelly simple, older games while only crashing a few times every half hour... Woah!
  5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    In my experience a faster computer can make all the difference. I remember when I upgraded from an iMac G4 to PowerMac G4 my America's Army scores improved dramatically (same Internet connection).

The reason is that it is able to keep the frame rate up in a firefight. So when the other players are right on top of you the thing doesn't slow down. It makes it a lot easier to play.
  6. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    No, ping depends on your internet connection speed.

My Mac has enough power to run SOF2 MP @ 30-50 FPS, but I have a slow 64 kbit/sec internet connection, so my ping is in the range of 300-999, which makes it so hard to hit