Online HD backup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ricof, Dec 5, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Just wondering if many people use online hard drive back-ups, and if so which one?

I was looking at the iDrive pro package which is $4.95 a month for 150gb.

Are there any options that allow a one touch whole HD backup?

Cheers

2. macrumors 65816

frunkis54

have you looked at carbonite.com

3. macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Hmm . . . Very interesting idea. Seems like a quick and simple back up solution. However, I cannot help but wonder how safe and secure one's info would be.

4. macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Exactly my thinking....everything is hackable.

Banks, for their security, hire the best hackers to try and hack their websites -so the banks can make their sites more secure.

If you want to be portable, I guess just settle for a seagate freeagent go. My girlfriend has the 320GB, and I know they offer a 500GB. It's self powered through USB.

5. thread starter macrumors member

That is true. I am trying out the free 2gigs of online backup from iDrive. Will probably get an external in the near future.

When you guys back up do you just copy your whole HD or use some software?

Cheers

6. macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I back up with Time Machine and have a bootable cloned hard drives on standby.

Having an off-site resource does sound like a good idea though.

7. macrumors 65816

Velin

Mozy will give you 2 gig for free, and $4.95 a month for unlimited. But the basic service is slow.

Before you commit to a service, better make sure the upload and backup speeds are bearable. You'll hate a slow backup service.

8. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I avoid using these services just for those reasons listed. Nothing is safe and you have to trust that the company you choose employs proper safegaurds. Just look at that sidekick debacle. Who knew that MS wouldn't have backed up the data as a rule or ran a special backup during the hardware upgrade

no it's my data and I go with a combination time machine/carbon copy cloner. I use CCC on a portable drive for offsite backups and TM for most everything else