Online Mac share at 7.46%

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 2, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Online Mac share at 7.46%
    Description:: iPhone usage is up again, Firefox continues march to the sea

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. Moderator emeritus

I don't quite get that bit. Is that like the march of the lemmings or down to the beach early to grab the best place to sunbath?

3. macrumors G4

You can see the snowballing against IE beginning to take hold now. Firefox up to 17%. I wonder what it'll go to once version 3 is officially released. And nearly 6% for Safari is pretty damn good too :)

Is there any area in which Microsoft is actually growing? HD-DVD dead, the PS3 overtaking XBox sales, iPhone overtaking WinCE phones, MSN share down. Even Windows market share can't stay above 90% for much longer.

4. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Note to Microsoft:

See, competition is good. It usually makes you realize you need to be more innovative.

I salute Mozilla's continued efforts to constantly improve their browser. Well done to them.

5. macrumors 6502a

Like General Sherman's march to the sea, I think, burning everything in its path and taking no prisoners.

6. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Eh... I would take these stats with a pinch of salt as they don't represent global trends - Net Applications' data is kind of restricted to bits of the world with a heavy bias towards the USA and misses a lot of the Asian markets. I'd say a more realistic global figure is between 2 and 5%.

However, Firefox's increased market share is encouraging.

7. macrumors 68040

elppa

Let's not forget WebKit is lining up to be the defacto standard for mobile browsing.

Apple prefer it for iPhone and Google will use it for Android.

Whilst Gecko may be making headway on the Desktop, the mobile space looks like where the next battle will be and WebKit has made a great start, whereas Mozilla's contributions don't look as compelling yet.

The other big player in the mobile space is Opera.

8. macrumors G3

clevin

both safari and osx share actually dropped a bit in Feb.

any guess?

9. macrumors newbie

I'm glad to see FireFox up to 17%...MS is trying to copy them and FFox just keeps staying ahead of the game. Safari is a decent browser, but FFox has ALL the features I need....and then some! :)

10. macrumors G4

More people back at work for the full month is my guess. During the holiday period what people have at home is going to take more of the overall percentage.

11. macrumors 6502a

March of the Penguins?

12. macrumors 6502a

Err... so you're dismissing the Safari numbers because they are biased, but then say that the increased Firefox numbers (from the same source) are encouraging, even though their validity is suspect due to the exact same bias?

I don't get it....

13. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

The Firefox numbers are backed up by other sites with a more global spread. Again, it varies from site to site but it consistently increases.

14. macrumors G3

clevin

no, most website register 17% as lowest # (onestat.com) for firefox. EU has higher numbers, as many individual tech websites.

but 5% registered by NetApplications is probably the Highest number anywhere for safari. Onestat and others register it at about 1~2%.

I have the impression that Net Applications's database is biased towards USA visitors. I don't know the detail tho. but 7% Mac, 5% safari, 17% firefox probably reflect more about the usage in the states.

15. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

when I was in south east Asia last summer every Internet cafe we used had firefox as well as ie but they had no macs at all.

16. macrumors 6502a

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

17. macrumors member

Oh and not to mention the merely "adequate" sales of Vista.

I've just got one pet peeve. The PS3 is no where near total 360 sales and I doubt it ever will be. It only achieved higher sales in the month where HD-DVD dropped out of the game and that's expected. So there seems to be only one industry where Microsoft is gaining in the eyes of the public.

18. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I think we need to be clear on a few things here:

1) Microsoft continue to grow well. Sales of Vista, although not brilliant, are as expected - and since 'expected' means in excess of 100 million that's not bad.
    2) The PS3 is starting to sell more than Xbox because of market saturation - the Xbox has sold 18 million units to the PS3's 10.5 million so far so the PS3 has a lot of gorund to catch up.
    3) MS operating systems will continue to dominate because that's what business uses. Until Apple make OSX available to third parties or a generally accepted and stable versin of Linux becomes available that will remain the case.
    4) Symbian dominates the smartphone OS industry. The market share will fall but analysts suspect that this will be due to the introduction of Unix based OS.

I don't understand the glee at the - often false - premise that MS is struggling. What is it to you how they do? It's not as if Apple are the guys in white hats here so why should you be bothered what goes on in Redmond?

If MS didn't exist then the world would be a poorer place. Like it or not they are responsible for making easy computing available to the masses with Windows and Office suite. Yes, Apple may have invented some of the apps that MS stole but MS mass marketed them.

19. macrumors G4

No, they aren't growing. They dominate in two market areas, that of operating systems and office software. Everything else they attempt to break into is failing, often losing them large amounts of money in the process. Vista sales may be within expected numbers, but that's only because they have effectively forced their userbase to abandon the preferred XP. Not a good sign for any company when your customers prefer your previous generation product.
    In what other market sector other than gaming are sales to date a valid benchmark of current performance? The XBox is currently third in sales to PS3 and Wii. This means MS's competitors are catching it or already overtaken it in Nintendo's case. This will have a big impact on game revenues over the next few years, which would lead to the Home Entertainment division of Microsoft suffering increasing losses.
    Not in doubt at all. But a 95% domination has already slipped to 90% and will continue to fall as Linux continues to gain traction in developing markets. Combining that with Apple's increased sales at the top end of the market, Microsoft are being squeezed. Therefore although they are still very much the dominant player and will remain so for some time, they are not growing, my original point. Competitors are beginning to get a serious foothold, and therefore third party companies are looking to become more platform-agnostic which will only increase the drift towards Microsoft alternatives. This effect is already happening and will only get more pronounced as the alternatives increase their installed base.
    Symbian's dominance of mobile phones is another example of how Microsoft have failed to become a serious player in a market segment they targeted, spending billions in the process. That a newcomer such as Apple can overtake installed base of Microsoft phones within months of their first attempt speaks volumes.
    Because I work in technology, that's how it matters to me. Read my earlier post again. That's me analysing what is happening in the tech field, not gloating about Microsoft's potential demise. The move amongst web developers towards Firefox and other alternative browsers has stopped the utter stagnation in that area that occurred under Microsoft's IE dominance. That I am happy about, hence the smiley. If Microsoft had continued to improve their product Firefox et al. would be virtually dead instead of thriving, but they chose to sit on their laurels and expect the market to follow them indefinitely. Yet another example of how their arrogance means they will eventually throw their market lead away in most sectors unless serious changes occur in their corporate structure and attitude.
    However, the dominance of Microsoft is now at the stage where it is holding computing back. I don't disagree with this assessment, but there has been a long string of companies that dominated tech and fell by the wayside once the needs of their customers were no longer being met. Microsoft is approaching that tipping point with its current direction, and due to the boardroom being stuffed by people who don't understand where the tech market is going they are being completely out-manoeuvred by their rivals at every turn. Unless there is a drastic change in senior management at Microsoft it will continue its current decline and become the next Novell or Corel. This isn't an Apple fanboy's assessment, but one of a network security professional with over a decade's experience of technical design, planning and support behind him. Take it as you will.

20. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Office and Windows continue to grow though. I would hardly call the Xbox and Xbox 360 failures either. Now the Zune... LOL!

Agree, Vista is a disappointment. I'm not sayng it's rubbish because it's perfectly servicable, it's just not what MS uers were hoping for. It remains for MS to convince business that Vista can be used in much the same way they had to with XP when it came out.

It's currently third in month to month sales but still leads overall although I expect the Wii to overtake before long. You have to remember that consoles have pretty defined lifecycles and the Xbox was launched a year before the Wii and the PS3. I expect MS will look to release the next iteratrion around 2010, again leading the development cycle.

Doubt it for the reasons outlined above.

True, but not hard enough to materially affect their dominant position. As mentioned, Apple need to release OSX to third parties and there needs to be a universal accepted version of Linux for this to happen.

Agree on this one. Symbian will continue to dominate here. Apple will carve a limited niche unless, again, they release to third parties.

I agree here. Having missed the opportunities presented by the Web MS need to diversify. I suspect that's why they so desperately want the Yahoo tie up.

Again agree. I just don't see any of its current competitors being the ones to step up to the plate. Now Google...

I agree with a lot of what you say and I do think MS needs to raise its game. I'm not sure that they're as vulnerab;e as Novell or Corel were though but, like you say, that may not save them if something better comes out.

Time will tell.

21. macrumors 68020

How do you define success? The only thing the Xbox did was lose money, and rather a lot of it. If it hadn't been made by a company with plenty of cash they could afford to lose, there would have been no 360. (Haven't really been keeping track of that one, but I haven't heard any differently about it either, especially since the hardware seems somewhat more failure-prone than average, which can't be helping the bottom line.)

The notion that MS brought "easy computing to the masses" is just plain wrong. Their history is pretty public if you actually want to look into it, instead of just believing their adverts.

--Eric

22. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

18 million sales. I realise that the original Xbox was a loss leader. So did MS.

Right. So MS's market dominance is just an illusion then?

If you read MS's history - as I have - you would be aware of the massive impact Windows 3.0 had on the market with 10 million copies being sold in the first two years and even more when 3.1 came out and became the most used API for consumer software. You'll also recall that Apple blew its market leading position to allow them to do so.

Yeah, I do know my history.

23. macrumors G4

By putting a sales guy in charge and trying to do too much at once if I remember correctly.

Sounds a bit familiar that...;)

24. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

:D:D:D

Very true!

25. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I just do not buy the numbers for the broswers on that site.

It has the highest Safari number by far. Most of the numbers I see for Safari market share is still less than 3% and many below 2%

It is the lowest for firefox I have seen. The highest I have see is near 37-38% but 25-30% being a more common number. The high number the site states that it visted by geeks and what not so it will push the number higher.

Thing I know is firefox is a main stream OS and it is no longer than nitch OS. It broke out of that a long time ago. Safari is just a nitch OS and not a main stream one.