Online MBA?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kentrox99, Dec 14, 2006.

1. kentrox99 macrumors member

Jul 26, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an Accounting degree from a state university and was looking to go back and get an MBA to advance my career. I am looking at an online MBA such as the University of Phoenix. Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think this is a reputable school? Has anybody enrolled or completed an online MBA? suggestions......

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    A close relative enrolled there for an MBA program about two years ago and was seriously disappointed. Their program was heavily based on group projects but few of the students were much interested in participating. Not wishing to help a bunch of other people get work-free degrees, he transferred back over to the traditional local university where he did his undergrad stuff.

I suppose it could be fine if you end up with a group of people who are willing to do the work, though.
  3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    this sounds like a really bad idea.

an MBA is mostly about the experience, and the interactions you begin to have. Its a pool of real world experiences applied together to produce an educational atmosphere, but the textbook part of it takes a back seat to the critical thinking skills one should develop.

If you're employed right now, check if you're employer sponsors any part time programs. It will take a little bit longer but at least you can get a more respectable degree while continuing to work.
  4. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Going to a for-profit "college" like the University of Phoenix is generally not the best plan of action