Online Video Downloads

Discussion in 'iPod' started by gkarris, Mar 21, 2007.

?

What Video Download Service Have You Used?

1. iTunes Store

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. XBox Live (SD and/or HD)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Amazon Unbox for PC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Amazon Unbox for Tivo

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Other PC type of Service

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Cable/Satellite on Demand

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Other (not listed here)

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What have you used and what have you been pleased with?

What do you watch the content on?

(Comment on quality, compatibility, ease of use, portability, etc.).

If you choose "other" or "other PC", please state which service - if it doesn't encriminate you...

Also, please no "my format is better than your format". This is merely to help people think about how they want to purchase and view their content, especially with the very many competitive choices out there.

Thanks!

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I voted for iTS, Cable OnDemand, and Other - bit...

I would say that iTS was very easy, very compatible (with my equipment), moderate video quality, inexpensive (read free - I only downloaded the free stuff).

Comcast OnDemand was also very easy, 100% compatible, lousy to best video quality.

Bit... was more difficult, slow, lousy (in general) to moderate video quality, very very compatible, and of course, free. I will say that I only bit... stuff that I have the ability to record, but for whatever reason (forgot to set the VCR/DVR, prior show ran long causing a missed recording, etc) didn't get a good recording.

I do have my Mac connected to my HDTV (Sharp LC46D62 - 1080p) and I can compare each service in terms of video quality.

10 - HD OnDemand is hands down, the highest quality of the (3) services.
    7 - iTS shows at 640x480
    6.5 - bit... shows that clock in at about 350MB/45min (mostly Survivor/Amazing Race)
    5 - OnDemand SD material
    4 - iTS shows at 320x240 - thankfully, no shows are sold at this resolution anymore.

ft

3. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I watch mostly on my Epson XGA projector via component, 60" diagonal on 4:3 and 55" diagonal on 16:9 setting. I have an old RCA 26" tube with RF only in the living room, and a Sony 17" WS LCD panel with VGA, video, and component in bedroom.

iTunes Store (for shows that didn't record properly or TV shows I really like and want to watch commerical-free, I also download a lot of the free episodes):
    Old format (320x240): Fine on my iPod, okay on my Sony LCD via video, great on a 26" tube set RF, okay on my projector via S-Video iPod dock
    New format (640x480): Fine on my iPod, better on my Sony LCD via video, great on a 26" tube set RF, and fine on my projector via S-Video iPod dock.

Amazon Unbox Tivo:
    Got the $15 free credit for attaching my Tivo box to my Amazon account. Downloaded $3.99 video rental in 4:3 letterbox in Tivo's "Better" mode. Looked good on projector. Would use only to "rent" but the price of used or on-sale DVDs not much more and you have it to keep or pass-on. Viewed only on my projector.

XBox Live (HD content, only on projector):
    Downloaded one episode each of "Enterprise" and "Star Trek: TOS Digitally Remastered". REALLY NICE on projector, but only kinda better than DVD. Content 720p but XBox 360 set to 1080i, then projector scales to XGA. Does make me want to purchase the 1080 high-def discs when released. Have the HD DVD drive for XB360 and movies actually mastered in HD are stunning...

AppleTV? Cancelled order as I eventually will always get the DVD and would rather purchase a wide-screen iPod ;)

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Sorry that this is off-topic, but I haven't known anyone who had purchased XBox Live HD content. Can you tell me if the XBox HD stuff is 720/24p or 720/30p?

I haven't been able to find that info anywhere.

ft

5. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

http://xyhd.tv/2006/12/03/why-xbox-live-video-marketplace-competes-well-with-visually-with-hddvd.aspx

This site says a movie was captured at 59.95 fps, and encoded at 23.976 fps.

"Enterprise" from what I understand was filmed digitally in HD, and of course we know "Star Trek TOS" is originally on film, so what Paramount did I don't know...

6. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris