Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sb58

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Hades
Is there a difference between the two? is there any like price difference?

rxl125

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
don't buy from an apple store... their return policy is a joke... go to comp usa where it is a no questions asked return for a few weeks.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
rxl125 said:
don't buy from an apple store... their return policy is a joke... go to comp usa where it is a no questions asked return for a few weeks.

Google this and get enlightened:

"comp usa return policy, apple"

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Buy from Amazon.com, sometimes up to $100 off computers and another $150 in rebates, not too sure about returns tho...
just go on over and check it out, crunch some numbers and find the best deal.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
No price difference. But, as stated, only stock options available. If you're looking to save a pretty penny, amazon is your best bet (though I've "heard" the rebate can take forever and a day to come through).

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
also if you are using an edu. discount, the online store has been said to be much better. They sometimes have gotten a bit testy about the discount from word i've heard, so i always try stuff in the Apple stores and buy online :)

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
rockthecasbah said:
so i always try stuff in the Apple stores and buy online :)
this cannot be more true, everyone should try out a computer before they buy, with an investment this big, you simply cannot rely on what other people say, or what you see on the internet(although it does not hurt to do some research on the internet). it helps tremendously if you actually go to an Apple store (or a retailer near you) and try out the MB MBP Mini iMac etc. that you are considering purchasing.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Rovman said:
Damn why don't Amazon UK ever have rebates, or money off deals :/
For awhile, some MR members mentioned something about Egg rebates?

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Order from apple.com then call and complain that your 3G computer (17" MBP in my case) is desparately needed before its estimated ship time (of June 8th :eek: ) and you get $125US off plus free 2-3 day shipping.

sb58

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Hades
h0e0h said:
Order from apple.com then call and complain that your 3G computer (17" MBP in my case) is desparately needed before its estimated ship time (of June 8th :eek: ) and you get $125US off plus free 2-3 day shipping.
i dont get that at all. Why does that make sense?

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
sb58 said:
i dont get that at all. Why does that make sense?

what doesn't make sense, i just spent THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS on a computer and it's not shipping until june 8th... so i called because i figured that, ya know, i spend all that money, i should be able to get my product a wee bit faster, so they offered me $125 discount, plus free 2-3 day shipping, on top of my education discount.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
h0e0h said:
what doesn't make sense, i just spent THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS on a computer and it's not shipping until june 8th... so i called because i figured that, ya know, i spend all that money, i should be able to get my product a wee bit faster, so they offered me $125 discount, plus free 2-3 day shipping, on top of my education discount.

my first post! anyway I am a former PC user and I am looking into the macbook through my edu institution. If the "call and tell them you need it sooner" trick works I might go ahead and buy this thing tomorrow online. I figure I was going to wait but 125 dollars is too good of a discount to let slip by while they increase production rate or just catch up. My PC took the big dive last week so I really do need a new computer ASAP but I will survive if it's not until June 10-12th. So two confirmations on the 125 dollar discount huh? Do you think I can call them before I order and see if they will do it for me?

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Doctorsti said:
my first post! anyway I am a former PC user and I am looking into the macbook through my edu institution. If the "call and tell them you need it sooner" trick works I might go ahead and buy this thing tomorrow online. I figure I was going to wait but 125 dollars is too good of a discount to let slip by while they increase production rate or just catch up. My PC took the big dive last week so I really do need a new computer ASAP but I will survive if it's not until June 10-12th. So two confirmations on the 125 dollar discount huh? Do you think I can call them before I order and see if they will do it for me?

the offers seem to vary between $75 and $150, and its always been offered post-sale. On top of Edu pricing, any discount is GREAT, that's why i kept my order w/ apple.com. don't call threatening cancellation, but if they don't offer, politely mention it... if that doesn't work then go all out against it. If still nothing, you can just cancel and order somewheres else.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Not sure I quite understand this...
After you order it online, you can call 1-800-Apple and just say that you need your new Mac sooner than the estimated ship date? And they will ship it sooner WITH a discount? That doesn't make sense. Do you need to give a reason for this?

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
iGary said:
No - but the Apple Store does not usually have any CTO options in stock - most all their machines are the stock configs.

i dont think so, all the Macs in my apple store 5 mins from my house have all decked out with amazing apps and such, like CS2 aperture and final cut pro, plus many more.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Rickay726 said:
i dont think so, all the Macs in my apple store 5 mins from my house have all decked out with amazing apps and such, like CS2 aperture and final cut pro, plus many more.

He means hardware upgrades. And he means the ones they have for sale, not the demos.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
iMatt mini said:
Not sure I quite understand this...
After you order it online, you can call 1-800-Apple and just say that you need your new Mac sooner than the estimated ship date? And they will ship it sooner WITH a discount? That doesn't make sense. Do you need to give a reason for this?
my guess would be that that it still ships out when it was going to ship out but they are trying to compensate you for having to wait. discount and getting it earlier = way too good to be true.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
iGary said:
No - but the Apple Store does not usually have any CTO options in stock - most all their machines are the stock configs.

except for their macbooks that are on display which I believe is misleading...

sb58

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Hades
ok well, i have another question. I know that apple offers student discounts. But do they by any chance offer any gov't worker discount? like say if you work in the Treasury Dept?

EDIT: nvm, i found it online but i can't get it to work right it just says :
Sorry

Unable to enter the requested store.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
sb58 said:
ok well, i have another question. I know that apple offers student discounts. But do they by any chance offer any gov't worker discount? like say if you work in the Treasury Dept?

EDIT: nvm, i found it online but i can't get it to work right it just says :
Sorry

Unable to enter the requested store.

I think you have to access it from the actual institution where you work.

Well, I know that I can only access the "Higher Education Contract Store" (which is even cheaper than the education discount store) from an internet connection at my university.

lonepilgrim

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
London
devilot said:
For awhile, some MR members mentioned something about Egg rebates?
Just to confirm: there was a promotion in the UK where if you had an Egg Mastercard you got 5% instant cashback - but the promotion is now over. Before Christmas it was 10% !! (and this worked in the education store as well).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.