1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Only 244 copies of Vista sold in China

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by P-Worm, Apr 18, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

2. macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Wow is right. I'm curious about businesses- have they just not upgraded, or are they using the pirated version as well? Maybe they are the ones that have bought the 244 legit copies.

3. macrumors 68030

princealfie

But do the non-legit copies work too?

4. macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I would guess so. Otherwise there would be slightly more copies sold, don't you think? :rolleyes:

5. macrumors Core

wow, i know China has a piracy problem, but i didn't think it was this bad. craziness.

6. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Of course businesses are using pirated copies. The government is, too. It's part of the reason why they have a hard time cracking down on it...they can't afford (or don't want to afford) cleaning up their own house.

7. macrumors 6502

jonharris200

Has this story been verified? Any Japanese-speaking folks out there care to translate the source article? Seems hard to believe... even for Vista. :cool:

8. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

I wonder if MS has the balls (or the capability) to break the functionality of the pirated copies...I wonder if the Chinese government uses legal copies of XP anyway...

9. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt it, I'd have thought they'd have bought more than 244 copies.

10. macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

? what are you talking about that is a 24,400% increase in sales. :cool: :p

11. macrumors 6502a

johnee

If china was forced to buy Vista, they might tell MS to toss off and create their own.

12. macrumors 604

zap2

Doubt it...most likely using Linux...maybe change a few things about its, but not make a new one

13. macrumors 68020

dubbz

Red Flag Linux :p

14. macrumors G4

243 copies more than they need for that DVD copying factory. Microsoft ought to be pleased :p

15. macrumors 6502a

Wow..That's so cool. :D

16. macrumors regular

MS really ought to consider how much the people make before they price their products :D

17. macrumors 6502

I like the quasi-Microsoft Windows logo there...:D

18. macrumors newbie

eightd

that what so great about buying mac osx, you have to buy apples dongle

19. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Must...not...say..LOL...:D

20. macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

hmmm ... interesting comment :rolleyes:

i guess you would think that only people in north america can make something usable. duh! :confused:

21. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Wow, they did not sell very many issues of Vista at all, I wonder what the percentage of pirated to legal copies is.

22. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've seen numbers that say as much as 97 percent of software installed on computers in China is pirated...others say it's more like 90 percent. I have no idea what Vista's numbers are specifically.

23. macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's insane :eek:. Someone really needs to crack down on that big time.

24. Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

EricNau

I never realized there was also a Disney version of Vista. What does that bring the total up to? 22? :p :D

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I believe that it is a mix of pirated versions being so widely available and people just not buying it. I can't see larger businesses widely using pirated software.