Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow is right. I'm curious about businesses- have they just not upgraded, or are they using the pirated version as well? Maybe they are the ones that have bought the 244 legit copies.

Of course businesses are using pirated copies. The government is, too. It's part of the reason why they have a hard time cracking down on it...they can't afford (or don't want to afford) cleaning up their own house.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
Has this story been verified? Any Japanese-speaking folks out there care to translate the source article? Seems hard to believe... even for Vista. :cool:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I wonder if MS has the balls (or the capability) to break the functionality of the pirated copies...I wonder if the Chinese government uses legal copies of XP anyway...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
243 copies more than they need for that DVD copying factory. Microsoft ought to be pleased :p

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
Doubt it...most likely using Linux...maybe change a few things about its, but not make a new one

hmmm ... interesting comment :rolleyes:

i guess you would think that only people in north america can make something usable. duh! :confused:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow, they did not sell very many issues of Vista at all, I wonder what the percentage of pirated to legal copies is.

I've seen numbers that say as much as 97 percent of software installed on computers in China is pirated...others say it's more like 90 percent. I have no idea what Vista's numbers are specifically.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I never realized there was also a Disney version of Vista. What does that bring the total up to? 22? :p :D

Attachments

• pirated_vista.jpg
    pirated_vista.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 66

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I believe that it is a mix of pirated versions being so widely available and people just not buying it. I can't see larger businesses widely using pirated software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.