only 64mb ATI 9600

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nazariteguitar, Oct 8, 2003.

1. nazariteguitar macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm in the market for a high end laptop I was concidering the new hp zd7000 17" notebook with a 3.2ghz processer and 128mg FX5600.

My question is does anyone see apple giving the option of a 128 9600 vidio card in the future (in all honestly 64meg is pretty sad for current top of the line notebooks).

Just to give you some background, I am a college student that would like a notebook for school work and personal use.
    I am into 3D animation (which is why I need a fast processer and video ram), and other forms of interactive media.

I am really having a hard time with sticking it out untill the G5 powerbook. I am so confused:confused: .

If I had the money I would also get a powermac, but I don't.

Well at least Panther is coming out midnight oct 23rd:) .
  2. beefcake macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    I'm pretty sure it has been said before, but a faster processor and more vram will increase performance, but kill battery life and burn your lap. If this is true, I can't see Apple compromising the mobility of their notebook line for a modest power increase.
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    at this point, there just aren't many things that actually use more than 64 VRAM... it's mostly marketing hype. In your case you may actually need it, but I don't think we'll see a 128 VRAM card in a mac notebook until there are more apps that it will actually matter for.