Only a day to go

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilvorX, Jan 22, 2006.

1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

It's only a day and a bit to go until a new Canadian government is going to be elected, we all know now that the Conservatives are going to win, I'm far from being conservative, very far, but if my MP can make an idea I told him into reality (that he really liked), then I don't care if there's 4 years of conservatives.

I already voted, I voted by special ballot for NDP, I voted Liberal in the previous election mainly because the Liberal canddiate was friends with my dad, but I didn't realize he didn't know anything about politics, and the NDP candidate for the riding for this election is probably one of the best candidates the region has seen in decades, concidering this is the NDP candidate's first time ever in politics.

Have you voted yet? Are you going to vote? What are your plans for watching election coverage?

Attached Files:

2. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

:D :D :D You sound like a bunch of the liberals around here (myself included) sounded about a year ago. Change in Government, yada, yada, yada. We all know what happened, don't we?:D

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I see the ugly head of Quebec secessionism is also rearing its ugly head. I would think a conservative government would only encourage them.

4. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

it's going to be the same thing here, who the heck knows, the 2004 election predicted that the Conservatives were going to win, but the Liberals actually did, and nobody knows if that will happen again until the results come in tonight, it's very much possible if the Conservatives get a slight minority that the Liberals could stay in power, if somehow they get an alliance with both the NDP and Bloc (no way in hell), then they could stay in power

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I sure hope the conservatives don't win otherwise I'll be questioning the sanity of my fellow Canadians. :confused:

Personally I'm leaning toward the NDP but I'm afraid a vote for them will only help the conservatives in the end so I'm having a moral dilemma here.

6. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

They're going to win though, some people just forget about how Bryan "Ben" Mulroney screwed up Canada, the Conservatives seemed to screw up Canada so much that they only had 2 seats in the 1993 election, and in the 1997 election, the only Conservative MP west of Ontario was my old MP

I voted NDP a week and half ago, it's a disgrace that in this riding the Communist candidate is more active at times than the Liberal candidate, the Liberal candidate didn't even give the local university's poli sci club any pamphlets to help youth voters decide who to vote for, while the Communist willing did

My riding has the tendency to be more conservative than any other riding in Manitoba (atleast nearly), if you're not a Conservative (or in '93-00 case or even Reform/CA), you basically dont have a chance of getting into power unless if the former gov't screws it up so bad, I'm going to be ashamed if Liberals get 2nd in this riding, people should know better, I'm a Liberal and even hold a membership to the Liberal Party but the candidate of this riding is a huge disgrace to the community

7. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i went through the exact same thing

8. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

there's always the ridings that are very close races, so a vote for NDP is a vote for NDP, we will definitely see a rise in NDP seats though, no matter what, I remember one part of the last election, the NDP had THIRTY seats, but that count went down by the time Sask votes were being processed

If former Governor General Edward Schreyer wins in the Manitoba riding of Selkirk-Interlake, that will be taking away a conservative seat, but I doubt that will happen.

There's currently an exit poll being done at school, right now the NDP has a tally of 13 or so people who voted for them, compared to 0-2 for every other candidate, if this had been the full election in the riding, the NDP would be winning a landslide in the riding :D

I'll be wearing a combo of NDP/Conservative (maybe) pins tonight, conservative so I won't get bashed by the conservative fans, since I WAS a Progressive PC supporter until that party fell through thanks to freaking Mackay, but I've heard that Mackay might have a chance to lose his seat, well atleast one of my friends from that riding keeps saying he will

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You all had damn well better hope that you don't end up with what we have now. I hated Clinton. I've learned my lesson- things can get SO much worse.

10. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

This doesn't surprise me, the NDP has a ton of support with young people, even more with young people who are in post-secondary education. if I put a poll on a ton of websites that I visit you'd think the NDP was a candidate to run the country.

"The survey found that 26 per cent of Canadians 18 to 24 support the NDP, while 24 per cent back the Liberals. The Conservatives received the support of 20 per cent of respondents." -from a poll that come out on the 20th.

Also there was a poll a few weeks ago that said that over 50% of those who end up voting Liberal actually would prefer an NDP government but are afraid that they wouldn't win if they voted for them.
    Earth to people: of course they won't win if you don't vote for them! If 50% of the Liberal support switched to NDP, then the last poll would have had the NDP in a virtual tie with the Conservatives, if not a lead :rolleyes:

11. candan9019 macrumors regular

I voted Liberal this morning, but I know my riding will go conservative though. As for corruption well I grew up in the States so it doesn't bother me.;)

Besides anyone who thinks that the Conservatives won't become corrupt too is dreaming.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Heh... Now there's a universal truth if I ever heard one. :p

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I really hope you guys know what you're doing. I would hate to think that Canada would become like the US. I'va always looked to Canada to teach us a thing or two. It would be a shame if that changed.

14. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

so anne mcclellen (sp?), pierre pettigrew (sp?) and reg alcock lost their seats in parliament, I wasn't surprised about mc and alcock, but pettigrew was a bit of a shock to me, in alcock's riding, 98% of the signs in the riding were conservative signs (brouinooge), and the alcock signs didn't look anything like Liberal signs