1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Only in Japan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MongoTheGeek, Mar 26, 2004.

1. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

2. macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

3. macrumors 65816

Wow.

4. macrumors 65816

krimson

soon the storylines in those robo-manga will come true...

but anyways, that's going to be really useful when the next large earthquake hits japan.

5. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Hail Robots!

6. macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

i'm waiting for Bill Gates to get his brain transplanted into one of these so he can really start his world domination ploy.

7. macrumors regular

You know, that's the problem with Bill Gates. We all paint him to be an evil billionaire, but he's just a pathetic man who got a few things right. What he needs is to become evil, to become half-cyborg and start holding the world at ransom, etc. I mean, he must be such a boring man. $40 billion and he doesn't even have contact lenses or a hair stylist or a clothes stylist.

We have SJ, and he, in his way, is bonkers.

8. macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

yeah, but,
    contact lenses and stylists are to get women
    his $40 billion makes him defacto the sexiest man alive (for many but not all women) giving him powers of pursuasion I, a mere mortal, can only dream of.
    an investment in contacts and a stylist would only decrease his nest egg making him infact less sexy, leading possibly, some day to sexiness lows of Trump or, god forbid, Forbes.
    He has invested/stolen wisely and I have no doubt that someday if his brain is not trasplanted into a world dominating cyborg, his conciousness will be downloaded onto the internet ala Timothy Leary in order to control pirating and thereby safegaurd his MS coffers.

9. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

"Aliens", anyone?

Ripley: "Get away from her, you bitch!"

10. macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly hope that new T-52 Enryu (literally "rescue dragon") will be successful. It will be a very useful tool for disaster rescue. That is a robot that I wouldn't want to see become an independent thinker, lets just keep him/her as a friend.

11. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Also, might I add, for carrying G5 towers. Perhaps Apple should put one of these in each store to at least help people crate their purchases out to their cars.

:)

12. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well this is completely disappointing. It doesn't even transform. If this were cooler, it would become, maybe, a prawn or a treadmill. But, if someone gave me one, i'd probably eventually find a use for it...

paul

13. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

You know, looking at the picture more closely, I can see all those (power? hydro?) lines getting ripped right off as it tries to "forage its way through a heap of debris". Then it's just another obstacle.

14. macrumors 68020

srobert

Boomers! Oh crap! Genom must be behind this.

15. macrumors 603

OutThere

[​IMG]

16. macrumors 603

Hah! Man, this story is so ripe for parody it's it'd be worth developing it just to see what people say. I'm still waiting for the next model to turn into a motorcycle or other equally useless piece of hardware, though.

And let's not forget that to the Japanese robots are not our evil overlords, but loved tools friendly helpers--the ever-cute Astroboy and the disturbingly this-thing-like labor robots of Patlabor (which some owners get way too into). Let's just hope they're right and Western sci-fi isn't...

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure this isn't autonomous--it seems to be more of a large mobile crane than something that operates on its own. And considering how useful giant robotic arms can be in factory work, I'm surprised nobody put two of them on a vehicle for this kind of thing sooner.

17. macrumors 65816

krimson

Kent? is that you? :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 68000

5300cs

"Go Go Rescue Dragon!" has a certain ring to it ...

19. Moderator emeritus

I'd like to see it with the Sony Aibo programming.

"Fetch!"

Considering how many earthquakes happen yearly, this robot would be a big help. How many times have people been caught in a building collapse during a fire? Then again, it could end up like the pyromaniac, eventually. :D :eek:

20. macrumors 603

aswitcher

Oh my God, it IS PATLABOR!!!!

21. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Does anybody else think that it's model name is a bit odd? T-52? Could this be T as in TERMINATOR? If T1, T2, and T3 were all such powerful robots, can you imagine what T-52 can do?

Besides, what's wrong with the other 25 letters of the alphabet?

22. Moderator emeritus

It really wasn't necessary for a Japanese company to use any letters of the Roman alphabet. Why should it matter that they chose 'T'?

23. adt
    macrumors member

Maybe 'T' is engrish for [​IMG]

24. macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

any machine built to do good is ok in my book.

25. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes... But We are ALL DOOMED ANYWAY!

aswitcher -- what is 'PATLABOR'?

A few more years till the robotic revolution... damn them! :mad: