Only just learnt this feature! OSX extended display options...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MagicWok, Apr 3, 2007.

1. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Ok - I've had my PowerBook for about 4 years and I've only recently learnt a new feature. I'm fairly savy on the old OSX front, but have only learnt that OSX supports a certain feature.

Whilst at Uni - I had a small desk - and attached a CRT screen to my powerbook as a second display.

I've left uni and now working - so I have recently got a Dell 2407WFP Rev A04, and a big big new desk. It was annoying me that due to my setup, my viewing both screens strained my neck a bit.

So... I only just learnt that I could make my Dell as the main display (with the dock), and make my 15" Al Powerbook's screen, as the extended display. This got me really happy I found out how to do it (it seems stupid now that I didn't know how) - I guess simple things please me.

Anyway I don't know why I thought I'd share this, just thought that I would!:rolleyes:

2. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on the your new find. ;p Better late than never, right?

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Apple doesn't really make it clear that you can change the default main screen by dragging the white block that represents the menubar to the other display. It's just a little too simple if you ask me.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

just a FYI - this feature goes back to OS 9, and probably earlier

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Yeah, I've noticed that seems to be the case with a lot of Apple features. It's extremely simple if you know how to do it (and much easier than the Windows equivalent), but not at all obvious if you don't already know.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's exactly it. I was using Garageband when I first got my PB and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how to import an aac file. After getting pretty frustrated it suddenly hit me that I should try dragging and dropping the file. My thought process for OS X now is: when in doubt try the simplest thing I can think of.