Only One of Two Larger iPhone 6 Models Likely, According to Analyst

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 24, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple may only launch one of two larger size iPhones this fall, according to UBS analyst Steve Milunovich. Barron's relays the research note, which is based on Milunovich's "checks" of the supply chain.

iPhone 6 rumors have repeatedly suggested that Apple is working on two new sizes for the iPhone. Predictions most commonly include 4.7" and 5.5" sizes, up from the current 4" screen of the iPhone 5S. Milunovich's report agrees that Apple is working on those same two models, but isn't sure both will launch:
    The analyst pegs the launch date for the next iPhone to be in August or September, but the release of the 5.5" model is less certain.

One additional detail he provides is that the 5.5" model may carry the same resolution as the 4.7" model. Not much has been said of the display resolution of these rumored large form factor iPhones. We haven't previously seen many reports from UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, so don't have much of a sense for his track record. iPhone 6 leaks will continue to accelerate as Apple gets closer to production.

Article Link: Only One of Two Larger iPhone 6 Models Likely, According to Analyst

2. DFZD, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

macrumors regular

Yes and it's 4.7. Don't we already know it.
    5.5 is a bait for samsung to launch their S6 in the larger size and fail.

Meanwhile, Analysts be like -

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 6502

They are gonna make devs angry by changing screen size so often...

4. macrumors 6502a

I want to be paid to make guesses too.

5. macrumors 6502a

It would be nuts for Apple to release a 5"+ as their only iPhone 6. 4.7" is a reasonable choice.

6. macrumors regular

Analyst.... hmmm.... hmmmm.... hmmmm

oh, on a slightly unrelated note MR notifications are working again ...YaY

7. Guest

Sky Blue

5.5!

8. macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Many don't want a 5.5" phone.
    Apple aren't doing a 5.5" phone.
    Simple.

9. macrumors regular

So you think that will drive developers away from the iOS platform? Besides, auto layout is already apart of the SDK.

10. macrumors 603

troop231

True, but only temporarily :). If anything, this will hopefully bring a resolution independent iOS. Please oh please!

11. macrumors regular

Lapidus

Not sure it's the screen size that's making some people leave the phone..
    Screen size for me is perfect, blocking 4G for my provider on the other hand..

12. macrumors 604

bushido

isnt that their job i dont see a nurse complaining when they suddenly have to wash a fat person :p (actually i do ... but u get what i mean)

13. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

After reading that, I lost interest.

14. macrumors 6502

Of course, they don't want to turn into Android devices lol..

15. macrumors 6502a

Since when has Samsung needed bait from Apple to fail? ;)

16. macrumors 68020

carjakester

if they want to keep making money they will have to deal with it. i could see it making them happier with the amount of space they will gain.

17. macrumors 65816

Did anyone real expect Apple to release two new form factors? I certainly do not.

18. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

Analysts...

Why is it that EVERY SINGLE FRICKING YEAR, analysts always bring the June/July release rumor out when Apple has not strayed from it since they moved to September? Also, EVERY SINGLE FRICKING YEAR, analysts have to start spreading wild rumors about multiple screen sizes?

Will Apple go bigger for the iPhone 6? Most likely. Just leave it at that. Stop trying to make **** up about what the sizes will be.

19. macrumors 6502

If devs build there app properly, changes to the screen size aren't that difficult to accommodate

20. macrumors 6502a

Aww man! I hope this report isn't right; I'd like to see both sizes come out. I want the 5.5"!

21. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Still find it hard to believe Apple will decrease the pixel density of the next iPhone. One screen size is easy to believe. I never thought they'd release two new sizes.

22. DTphonehome, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

I think that with the multitude of resolutions that Apple will be supporting in the near future (3.5" retina on 4S, 4" retina on 5/5C/5S/Touch, retina ipad, multiple carplay resolutions, larger iphone), iOS is going to have to be more resolution independent. Call it fragmentation if you must, but it looks inevitable at this point. So what's one more resolution? The biggest knock against the iPhone at this point is the screen size, so why not preempt the whiners and just offer two sizes?

23. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

So get a job as an Analyst...

24. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Absolutely ridiculous! It's like holding an iPad mini up to your head lol

Attached Files:

25. macrumors regular

AndyUnderscoreR

"...certain that the 5.5-inch model may or may not launch at the same time."

Thank you captain obvious!