Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesfowler2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Hi all i brought my first ever mac in jan 2004... Fantastic little machine spec in my sig.. It does me for all my needs TBH, i have it wired up to my 21" sony trinitron crt which isnt bad nice refresh, i use a nice mouse NOT TRACK PAD (yuk) :) and its just a fantastic replacement to my old machine, My old machine was a 2500XP AMD i brought a new pc put it together myself realised i didnt need that much power and that new games aint that fun! and just got bored, next thing windows started really nigglin me i dunno if anyone has had it here it kinda just GETS ON UR NERVs and i was a user for 10 years nearly.

Anyway here is my point on performance/Power/Mac Specs...

I in know way doubt that a 2500XP AMD Barton is a more powerful CPU
I in know way doubt that all the other specs are more powerful (raw power) But for some reason this 800Mhz G4 Ibook 640mb ram ladida DOESNT give me a headache! even tho i can feel the machine laging sometimes even tho it doenst anoy me! it doesnt wind me up, its like a strange and acceptable slowness, Anyone else know this?

My main problem and point to this that just came out is this...

The only software i miss thats on pc is mIRC YES there is mac versions but i find them all crap im using SNAK atm i really dont rate it, when i used to go to web sites like ircspy.com and click a link it would load the chat room for me and start my DL if u know what i mean? CAN anyone recomend a good MiRC client PLEASE?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I personally use Xchat Aqua, it does almost everything that mirc does, the only thing that is annoying is the scripts are in php format (easier to code) but not as easy to port across from mirc.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
garybUK said:
I personally use Xchat Aqua, it does almost everything that mirc does, the only thing that is annoying is the scripts are in php format (easier to code) but not as easy to port across from mirc.

php? *looks* perl, python on TCL, no php in xchat aqua mate :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
There really isn't anything close to the quality of mIRC in my opinion. Maybe it's just because I was so used to it but... I guess maybe you should just launch XCode and get to coding! :)

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
SilentPanda said:
There really isn't anything close to the quality of mIRC in my opinion. Maybe it's just because I was so used to it but... I guess maybe you should just launch XCode and get to coding! :)

Xchat could be there if it had its own simple scripting language like mIRC...i think feature wise its probably on par.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.