Ontario curler banned two years

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Duff-Man, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...okay..I am not one to be in favour of cocaine use, and perhaps this makes sense in regards to the optics of getting government funding...but this guy must be some kind of idiot. Coke is a stimulant...why would anyone take it for "curling" - a sport that is played entirely in slow-motion..seems to me it'd be more of a detriment to your game than a help...oh yeah!

Ontario curler banned two years
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    It's not entirely in slow motion... after all, when those guys are brooming the ice, being coked up would let you brush even faster.

And I suppose getting high might make it possible to actually ENJOY curling. ;)
  3. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Haha, true.

It is kind of stupid of him though. I have no respect for athletes who use drugs to improve performance in a contest. I don't care if they do drugs, but don't do it to have an advantage over other competitors. [​IMG]
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    I guess he couldn't use the Rebagliati defence:

"It was second hand snort"

5. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I guess it was taken recreationally?

Having played curling for 10 years, I'd not be surprised to hear that doping was going on. The suppleness you need to be able to drop into the release position would be aided by being able to take steroids to help healing after you pulled a muscle.

And don't underestimate the effort taken in sweeping a stone up the ice... sliding along sideways pretty fast while brushing as fast as you can while trying to avoid other stones which are lying around the house...
  7. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    That there almost makes curling sound fun, almost. I think sliding sideways would be pretty sweet, high or not. Personally I'm not for that type of thing, but if you wants to do it in his own time whatever, his choice. As stated above I think its better he keeps it to him instead of using it to up the competition.
  8. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I think it would help focus/concentration. The ability to block out what is going on around you I think would help someone who might easily be rattled in situations where the pressure is on. Rather than thinking of it in terms of drinking 8 cups of coffee before an exam, think of it as drinking 1 or 2. Enough to keep your mind focused on the task at hand. Which in this case was sliding a rock across ice. :rolleyes:
  9. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    Yeah, I've shot some pretty stellar rounds of golf with a good buzz going. Just loosens you up and the pressure fades but alcohol is a depressant whereas "toot" is a stimulant so I can't see it helping during a game with the exception of the following: