onyx!! problem??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by faraz, Dec 17, 2004.

1. faraz macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2004
    I recently downloaded onyx, based on the good reviews and recomendations i hear from it over here. Once i downloaded it, i was checking it out... going through the different features and everything, and when i was in the maintanance section, i accidentally hit execute and then hit close right after. The window closed and i saw the regular onyx bar... so i thought the process must have stopped so i hit the cleaning icon but it did not open as easily and i noticed from the disk and cpu activity that was seeing, that onyx must have been doing something.

I didn't do anything else but open safari and mail.... and everything was running very slow which was expected... but once it was finished i went into the help feature and noticed that it says i should NOT interrupt the maintanance commands!

Have i really screwed things up?? could my hardware have been damaged?? or can onyx do anything that could cause more of a problem than a reinstal of os x would not fix??

i reran the optimize and clean features later... and it asked me to restart my computer, which is something it did not do the first time once it was over...

can anyone give me some advice to put my mind at ease... i would really appreciate it.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    It sounds like Onyx crashed on you the first time round. Everything should be fine after you run again, nothing bad will happen. If you used the automated feature, it will ask you to restart your computer - that's perfectly normal, the fact it didn't the first time implies that something did indeed go wrong.

So basically you're fine, don't worry! :)
  3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    ya i agree with the above post. something like that happned to me when i used onyx and it works fine now.
  4. faraz thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2004

hey thanks for your help guys!

but does anyone know what 'interrupting' the maintanance commands entails? The help doccument was fairly clear on saying that should 'never' be done....
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the process shouldnt be interupted, it messes up the cron jobs and such that it is doing at the time, however, since you did re-run it and it worked out fine i dont see why you should have any concerns, onyx cannot do anything to harm your hardware, and i doubt it could mess up OS X that bad to require a reinstall, i use it every now and then with no problems, in fact i have done what you just described, my system has been fine

i wouldnt worry at all