ooooo you're a dirrrty mac aren't you?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by biohazard6969, Jul 1, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

LOOK WHAT I FOUND AHHAHAHAHA

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My G5 gets a bit too hot sometimes too. :(

Quick fix? Advanced automotive liquid cooling mechanism - or a cold shower...

3. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

oh man i love finding stuff like this about my mac, now i'm off delving deep into the utilities apps and other stuff just to find something else rele cool

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Good find BioHazard!

But keep your fingers off my Mac! :mad:

:D

6. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Wow. I remember there was a finger option in the Network Utility Application but I never knew what it meant. I didn't read what it was all about until you posted this. Thanks for "pointing" :)p) out what it means. ;)

OK, OK somebody please tell me the true meaning of the finger option...

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Once upon a time, you could finger anyone's mailbox to find out if they were around and had seen your mail. There was also typically a .plan file where people could leave little public notices --- some people used to used them sort of like a primitive form of blog.

The finger service pretty much disappeared after spambots got into the habit of using them to harvest addresses. It didn't help that some popular finger servers had security issues too.

For some reason, game developers still like to use finger to announce their plans, but there's little else left in the way of real usage.

8. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

I have once used that command in the network utility. I didn't know what it did, and tried it on our own internet IP, and it seemed to do nothing. The next day we found out we didn't receive any mail anymore, but were still able to send it. After looking at a zillion different things and contacting are ISP it came out that the finger command I used triggered the ISPs firewall and closed some port on our IP, making it impossible to receive mail.:eek:

So watch out, if you don't now what it does!

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Finger, in all its Unix-ey goodness:

Found by typing MAN FINGER in Terminal.
    (Wow, that sounds even worse, doesn't it?)

10. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Middle finger?

...sorry, had to ask! But an interesting find. I had no idea what it meant so thanks to those (especially IJ Reilly) for an explanation. Someone could have used a different word, but maybe it was done on purpose...

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It means finger as in point :D There is a nice telling of the history in teh Wiki.

Y'know though, this is seriously weird how an Internet futility that people used daily a few years ago is already long forgotten.

12. IanC macrumors regular

LMAO, :eek: