Ooops! Wife wrote over miniDV tape.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by VanMac, Aug 14, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey.

So, as the title suggests, my wife tapped over the movie we had in the camera.

I have just purchased a 12" iBook, so I tried importing a movie into iMovie to see how it would work. Worked great. I rewinded the tape in the camera when done as I was going to archive it.

Wife picks up the camera the next day and tapes over the whole thing! So, thankfully I have that data on disk.

Question is this. Can I just dump that movie back up to a new blank miniDV tape from iBook to camera? Is there any data loss in the transfer, or being all digital, will it be just like a file transfer.

Any advice or precautions appreciated.

2. macrumors 6502

Of course you can write it back to tape. In imovie I forget but I believe you go to file>share>some option for camera. Have your cam hooked up and on whie you do this.

3. macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yup, put everything you want to keep onto the timeline, and then "share" (export / print to video) to the camcorder.

There should not be any data loss unless there's some sort of (rare) tape problem.

4. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Do Mini DV tapes have a "write protect" tab?

o'course, if your wife taped over it, that would be one thing, but if she pulled a Gregory Hines and tapped over it, that puppy's probably beyond saving...
    5,6,7,8!
    :D

5. macrumors 604

Lacero

Sheesh, what kind of wife records over existing tape without telling the hubby. Something like that happens, I'm sure to write it down as ammunition for future arguments. :mad:

6. macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yes

7. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I read : Do Mini DV tapes have a "wife protect" tab? :eek:

Gotta sleep, has been a long day.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Thanks for the help, and amusing comments.

Worked fine. Just selected all clips, and 'shared' it back up to a new blank tape. All is restored.

Really all my fault, I should have protected tape, or at least pulled from camera. Oh well, live and learn.