Oops! Final Destination style accident

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had no idea these 'Mouse Trap' style things really happened like this. But I've just had a very scary one happen to me. To get the whole picture I'm going to have to write a bit :p

I've been out sledging today. Only whilst 3 miles from my house, I realise I hadn't had anything to drink all day. So I start fantasising about pure Orange and the likes. We're heading back actually, and I spot a half drunk bottle of Coke Cola stuffed in the snow. If theres a god he's a bloody good tease.
    So I get home and stick a can of Dr. Pepper in the fridge. An hour later I'm starting to get sleepy, huge loss of energy from the sledging. So... I toddle off downstairs and get my can out of the fridge. Open it through Coronation Street then head upstairs. Still drinking the can I get the laptop from the pool table outside my room. Only my mind says "James! don't carry that machine and the can at the same time! duh!", listening to it I run to my room and put the can near my PowerBook (you're starting to imagine whats going to go wrong now, right?).
    I clear off the sketchbooks and pens from the laptops space and put the machine down. as I do this I proceed to put the plug into the wall, firstly moving my lava lamp across. Laptop down, I go to press the plug switch.

Only instead I swing my arm over not looking where I was going, knock the lava lamp over which rolls along at some speed... knocking into my speaker which gently nudges the Can over. I didn't notice at first, too busy picking up the lava lamp! only the can is spilling out on the PORT side of my PowerBook! I cringe! I cry! I run over to unplug it all. Only to slip on a bottle of Lavender oil that was near the speaker! Which makes me try and grab hold of anything to keep up, nope! you fool! you just pushed your scalpel into your laptops power cable! luckily it was off!
    Get up, do a hard shut down on the PB, pull out all the cables and plugs, seeing that Dr. Pepper is slowly oozing into the Firewire, smothering the power lead and DVI ports. turn off all plug switches, remove PB battery and leave standing on its side for the caffeine badness to drip out.

All in all a wonderful event marred a near death experience.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Why didn't you plan ahead and film it so we could all see exactly what happened?

;)

3. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

:)

That really sucks. But it made one hell of a story...

I hope it dries out all right, had you taken any photo's of the powerbook before the accident? Did they indicate this would happen?!!

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I can't believe what I've just read. Horrifying. Absolutely horrifying.

You actually watch Coronation Street? :eek:

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, it's pretty sad when Dr Pepper goes to waste.

When you mentioned "Dr. Pepper in the fridge", I remembered the time my friend got a glass bottle of Classic Coke and put it in the freezer, thinking it would come out nice and slushy. Instead, as you might expect, the liquid expanded as it froze and the bottle exploded, leaving glass and Coke all over his mom's freezer.

6. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I had a day a week or so ago not so much a Final Destination type accident but a Series of Unfortunate Events. My brother got X-Box live and the room the xbox was moved into I knew I put in a network port a few months back or about a year ago but I couldn't find where it was so I figured I must of removed it. Well I was planning on re running the network cables anyways and moving it to a new spot. So we went out and bought a PVC pipe because didn't want a huge thing of network cables running across the back wall of the house just hanging so instead I ran them through a pipe. Well while the network was down I had a temporary wire running to the FIOS box since I'm on verizon FIOS. Well I had a drink on my desk but at the time didnt think anything of it until I tripped over that network cord that I had setup. The drink spilled over all over the glass desk which I just got and my keyboard and mouse at the same time ripping out of the 400.00 Cisco switch on one end and ripping out of the Macintosh that expired out of warranty a few months back. Thankfully the only damage to the switch was the metal part that covers the ports was bent so I just removed that but I cut my hand off of that. The Mac how ever wasn't so lucky the port is now loose and if you tap it you have to fiddle with the port to get it to work again. Well one major disaster, continuing on with the network after hours of work and running the last cable the snake or fishing line what ever you want to call it one of those things that has the big metal line that you fish through the walls or pipes and connect the wire to it and pull it through well that got stuck in the pipe when I tried to pull it out my hand slipped and i whacked it on the breaker box and made a huge cut on the back of my hand while the snake was still stuck. I also ripped the pipe off of the wall and it was still stuck. I had to eventually remove the pipe entierly pull all the wires back out and then re run all the cables through the tube. I eventually finished 7 hours later cuts all over my hand busted ethernet port on the mac and missing metal casing from the cisco switch.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

HAHA! "doooctor pepper! whats the worst that could happen?" well I could blow up my pride and joy for one.

My desk is still sticky. the PB seems to be fine now.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats what i'm talking about...next time be on your P and Q and film it!:p

Bless