Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Well, not broke it per se...I was testing it out - first time I'd seen one in the flesh. I decided to see how the lid closed and how the magnets in it worked. So I shut it. And then I opened it again. The thing just wouldn't go off standby. Nothing I did reactivated it it.

I though it best to run away.

I did pop in again later on in the day, and they'd got it working again, but I'd imagine they'd have had to take the battery out and reboot it.

But aside from that, I though it was a great machine. I don't think I could go back to a smaller screen now, but it's a very nice laptop it has to be said.

Sorry Apple store ;)

BrianSalts

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
maybe you didn'nt break it- maybe it was broken already.

don't be too hard on yourself :p. electronics don't have feelings :p

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Ah, I think that things like this would occur on a regular basis in electronic shops. People like to have a play with the machines, not just stand back and watch.

For some reason, I am cursed with digital camera displays. Whenever I start looking at the cameras, the blasted alarm goes off. I know that I have done nothing wrong, but its still annoying that it scares the crap out of you, and the security people need to come over and make sure everything is allright and turn the alarm off. :rolleyes:

BrianSalts

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Shamus said:
Ah, I think that things like this would occur on a regular basis in electronic shops. People like to have a play with the machines, not just stand back and watch.

For some reason, I am cursed with digital camera displays. Whenever I start looking at the cameras, the blasted alarm goes off. I know that I have done nothing wrong, but its still annoying that it scares the crap out of you, and the security people need to come over and make sure everything is allright and turn the alarm off. :rolleyes:

lol u feel so embarassed when that happens. everyone looks at u like ur gonna steal something.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
lol.

Once I though I did that too. I closed the lid, opened up. My friends are much anti-mac, so they started asking why it tookit so long to wake up. It didwake up after a minute or so. Until they see that my own MacBook starts instantly after opening the lid, they think it's slow:p

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
sunfast said:
what did you think of the MacBook before it died?

I liked it to a certain degree, although I was suprised that I preferred the black one - something which was not planned. I was a keen iBook fan, and adored the white look, yet there's something slightly 'cheap' looking about the white Macbook really.

I didn't really go for the keyboard either - it felt rather rubbery to me. But at the end of the day, I'm sure I'd adjust to that fine.

All in all, they're good machines - and I was quite impressed with the glossy screen - the colours do seem very vibrant indeed.

However, I'm not disappointed with my MBP :)

wxboss

macrumors member
May 13, 2006
Jax, FL
JoeKarame said:
Well, not broke it per se...I was testing it out - first time I'd seen one in the flesh. I decided to see how the lid closed and how the magnets in it worked. So I shut it. And then I opened it again. The thing just wouldn't go off standby. Nothing I did reactivated it it.

When I was growing up, I always thought that gremlins were to blame for things that worked one moment and then didn't the next I time I returned to it.

Say, you haven't been messing around with any stereos lately because I swore my was working just the other day :) .

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
When you close a macbook you have to wait for the light to pulsate until you can open it. Until then it hasn't gone to sleep, just turned off the display.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I've frozen display models before. IMO it's just because those machines are on all day long being used by countless people and have god-knows-what installed. My own macs never freeze up requiring hard restarts, but those floor models are just not that stable in my experience.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
I am broke,and I sorta "broke" a Power Mac G5 Quad core. Yes I understand the irony...:)

I fixed it. I am also jynxed for digital cams. I always drop them. And set the alarm.:eek:

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Oh... I got all ready for an exciting story when I read the thread title... ;)

Those sort of things happen every now and then with Macs, we just like to pretend they don't.

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
JoeKarame said:

I did pop in again later on in the day, and they'd got it working again, but I'd imagine they'd have had to take the battery out and reboot it.

But aside from that, I though it was a great machine. I don't think I could go back to a smaller screen now, but it's a very nice laptop it has to be said.

Sorry Apple store ;)

buahaha I did the exact same thing.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
MACDRIVE said:
I get those looks as soon as I walk inside the door. :confused:

It's not this that bothers me...it's when you leave empty handed and you just know they're thinking "Whats betting he's got something stashed in his pockets"

I always make a point of standing outside looking around so they alter their thought to: "Well, probably nothing as he wouldn't stand there like a moron if he did...he'd run away"

I think too much...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.