Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JordanShapiro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I did this... AGAIN. Booting into 9 with the iPod connected would fix the disk not mounting error but now that I have a 12" Powerbook that's not really an option!

Is there ANY way to fix this without restoring my iPod yet again? Such a pain in the neck.

Danke!

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
i have unpludeed mine many times without unmounting nad never had a problem. So i guess what I am saying is that I have no idea what your problem is. Freak accident perhaps?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yeah ive never had this problem, its always been better in x than 9. if you unplugged something in 9 it would make you plug it back in. in x it doesnt care. go in to more detail because i hav never seen this problem.

iJon

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i've had a similar problem b4 where my ipod delted all of my music but none of the files stores on the firewire disk. i just resynced it with my itunes library...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
oh wait wait, i did have this problem, and it pissed me off. no matter what i did i couldnt update my ipod. i just ended up restoring my ipod and syncign everything back. i think that is what you are talkign about.

iJon

JordanShapiro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Okay, here's a more detailed description of what happened. A while ago, I unplugged the firewire from my Powerbook and OS X scolded me with the usual message.

Now when I plug it back in, it charges but won't mount on the desktop. I get these messages:

"You have inserted a disk that has no volumes OS X can read..."

"A disk attempting to mount as Unknown has failed..."

I get options to Initialize and some other stuff, but nothing works. Running disk utility gives me an "Invalid 8-tree node size" but doesn't let me repair it.

Sooo... this sucks.

Help? Please?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by JordanShapiro
Okay, here's a more detailed description of what happened. A while ago, I unplugged the firewire from my Powerbook and OS X scolded me with the usual message.

Now when I plug it back in, it charges but won't mount on the desktop. I get these messages:

"You have inserted a disk that has no volumes OS X can read..."

"A disk attempting to mount as Unknown has failed..."

I get options to Initialize and some other stuff, but nothing works. Running disk utility gives me an "Invalid 8-tree node size" but doesn't let me repair it.

Sooo... this sucks.

Help? Please?
nevermind, i didnt have that problem, do you have important data on there, if you dont jsut restore it. also try repairing yoru permissions too.

iJon

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Had much the same problem with a Lacie pocket drive today, repairing the permissions may work as iJon suggests, but you should also run fsck -y in the single user mode:

Restart and hold Apple-S on the chime, wait for the text to finish scrolling.

Type fsck -y and return.

Let it run. if it reports errors, redo it.

Once it runs clear type reboot and return.

Only works in OSX obviously.

This and the permissions got the Lacie back smartish.

JordanShapiro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
In the process of repairing permissions, but I'm pretty sure it's only doing the internal, should i be doing anything extra to make sure it's going on the firewire?

Btw, fsck -y did nothing, I forced it with -f.

Belgium

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Bornem, Belgium
Similar problem with big LaCie firewire disk

I lost most of my data recently because I accidently unplugged my LaCie external firewire disk while it was still mounted.

When I plugged it back in, one of the two partitions didn't mount anymore.

I tried fsck -y (but this only checks the internal HD right!?)

Norton Utilities en Co couldn't fix it either.

I didn't know that fixing file permissions could help in fixing this!

I ended up reformatting the partition and learning a wise lesson: Backup!

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.