Op/Ed News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Mar 12, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    And much, much more. Just what do your media do for a living? It sure ain't journalism.
  2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    The media here used to be independent companies. Now they are all owned by Disney, Viacom, GE, News Corp. (Rupert Murdoch's little dictatorship), Time-Warner-AOL, etc., who all have their own interests. The media question very little as a consequence, and do even less investigative reporting.

Add that to the gigantic GOP propaganda machine -- yes, much of it coming out of the government, masquerading as legitimate news -- and the combined result resembles more 1984's Ministry of Truth than real journalism.

The U.S.'s main purpose nowadays is to serve as a warning to other countries of the dangers or corporatism and conservatism gone berserk.
  3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    The beautiful thing is that the federal government is doing it. We are paying for this government bureaucracy machine. This is sort of nauseating.
  4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    Media owners are in business to sell advertising to make money. To get more readers/viewers, the best attraction is excitement and big deals, which gives us the "If it bleeds, it leads."

Purely opinion, but maybe this style on the part of reporter-level folks leads to a less discriminatory view of events in general. Again my opinion, but it seems to me that most people in the media are generally statist in their own view of politics in general, whether they are liberal or conservative. They inherently view government and its programs as Good Things.

I see a result of this as creating a "take it for granted" view of press releases from government agencies. Maybe less so for direct releases from the White House, but by and large an acceptance when something comes from the PR folks at agencies.

I've watched the agglomeration into larger but fewer media outlets with a certain amount of trepidation. It's happened in radio, TV, newspapers. My belief is that the behavior of any corporation derives from the ownership and top management. The behavior of the lower echelons of employees must "follow the party line" in order that they keep their jobs. With many small, independent outlets in cities and states this isn't any big deal, as the effects are very much localized. But three or four giant corporations, nationwide, means a very limited number of views of "the news".

Similar to the "military/industrial complex"--which really is a government/large military industry complex--we've gotten into a government/media complex.

Effects? Seems to me that the media was right in there in lobbying during the debating on the Campaign Finance Reform Bill. Big media can publish commentaries in those last days before an election that you and I cannot, and SCOTUS said that's not infringement on the First Amendment. And now we have the efforts to shut down political blogs. Add to this the idea that online newspapers stop being no-cost to Internet browsers...

Not good.