opacity/transparency of windows?/see-thru windows

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brsboarder, Sep 4, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if there is any way to change the opacity of a window, for instance, if I wanna watch a movie, but read a web site at the same time, can I make the website sort of see-thru and then be able to watch the dvd at the same time?? any ideas

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Mac OS X can do this, but few applications have a way to control it. Terminal is one of the few applications I know of that has opacity controls built-in. I don't know of any way to change the opacity of an application's window unless the application has a configuration setting for it.

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

so, no internet program will do that? or might they?

4. Lloyd1994 macrumors member

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was reading some things online...
    Actually, the menu does allow you to apply the moz-opacity, and also opacity to cover the safari. It's applied through off/on class. You will have to check it and make sure you have the look you want in the final result. . I did check the on/off class for it and it and it does work but details are up to you.

Put the opacity class, whatever you want to name it in the head of the document, or I guess it would work in an external style sheet. i.e.
    Code:
    .opaque {
    opacity: .5;
    -moz-opacity: .5;
    }

Then in the menu_data.js file in the global style definitions put
    Code:
    offclass="opaque";
    onclass="opaque";

That will apply opacity to the menu. [whichever section uses the particular style definition in which you put that on/off class]

opacity and -moz-opacity code from 0-1 in fractions, i.e. .1, .2, .3 etc. So, .5 is equal to 50%. Also note, I took out the alpha, that is applied through the filters in the overfilters code.

As to adding it to the menu, I'm not really sure about in depth things but I know that each little minor change requires changing a lot of things when programming. Sort of like a sentence structure if I can make an analogy with all the programmers reading this Razz If the sentence says, "I understand now just how important my old car was to me." and you change I to he, well guess what, you have a LOT of changing to do in the sentence.

Ruth

Exclamation

Great! this is almost perfect.
    Unfortunately it makes the WHOLE menu translucent and not only the background. Any sollution for that, or am I pushing it Surprised

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Unfortantly, I dont know anything about code, can someone explain this to me? is this what I want, how do I do it?