Open a document or photo without saving it to the hard disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vjjohnson3, Jun 7, 2006.

1. vjjohnson3 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to open a file (picture or document) but not save it to the computer? Just view it, like on windows.

Also, anyone know of a good wireless mouse for mac (has scrolling capabilities, and right click button) or a wireless keyboard/touchpad?

Thanks,
    Vincent

Got a new iMac 20 inch with 1 gb of ram

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I use Apple's Wireless Mouse so sorry, but I can't help you on that front. What exactly are you wanting to do with these files? FWIW, Windows still saves files in the temporary folders when you "open without saving". :)

3. apple2991 macrumors 6502

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Technically by virtue of the fact that you're viewing it (even in place on a website), it's already saved on your computer, albeit somewhat transiently.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

Pretty much any mouse works with OS X given that you can find a way to connect it to your computer. Extra buttons/functionality on your mouse can be used by using an app like USB Overdrive.

My favorite's the Logitech G7 wireless gaming mouse - right+left click and horizontal+vertical scroll and dpi switching on the fly. runner up probably is the logitech mx1000, although i'm not a fan of some of the "features" of the mx1000.