Open a file without "volume"?????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BLDun, Jan 22, 2006.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

Is it possible to someway open an file when a warning comes up that says "volume missing". This is a Apple Works text file. I placed it on my desktop from a laptop that was crashing. After we reinstalled the operating system on the laptop we found that the file now won't open. Keep getting the "volume" box. Is it possible to circumvent this and open it some other way??? Thanks for any help!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Did you get a real copy of the file, or an alias? An alias is just a pointer to another file, you would need a real copy in order to open it.

3. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it was an alias. The laptop would not boot so we did a direct firewire hookup with my G5 and was able to access the hard drive that way. I simply grabbed a number of files and dragged them to my desktop. All the others open fine but this one just won't open. Keep getting the message that says, "volume for this file could not be found"

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Here is the dialog box that you would see in the Finder if you double-click an alias that points to a missing file. Is this the one you are seeing? I made this alias and then dismounted the volume with the original.

You can get info from the Finder to see what kind of file you really have there.

Attached Files:

5. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

Come on man, that's not what I wanted to see. But that is the box that comes up. So evidently I somehow got hold of an alias. Thanks