open/close button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by santangelo, Nov 12, 2006.

1. santangelo macrumors regular

Hi

is anyone else macbookpro open/close button starting to discolour like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's not bloody normal - that's chipping paint. I'd get it looked at.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not so much chipping as rubbing off, by the look of it. Why on earth don't they make parts like that self-coloured?

4. santangelo thread starter macrumors regular

well thats it i spend £2000 on this 2 months ago and its starting to look like this already

taken it to my local apple store and they have said that part isnt under the warranty so cant do anything about it, then went on trying to blame it on having long finger nails which i havent as i bite them lol

5. jlin615 macrumors regular

How do you press the button? Anyways, Call AppleCare, we paid so much money on these machines, we deserve to have things right.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does that specific part (the latch button) have the same or different finishes on the iBook and PB and MBP? I want to say that from the ones I've seen, they're all the same. I know that on my 3-year-old iBook, there is no cosmetic damage to that button as of yet. So I want to toss in a "not normal" vote. :(

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

It looks like that area is damaged. I see some small gaps on the right side compared to the left side.

If it is not damaged, it would be just wear and tear. The latch button is a little bit raised from the surface and it is possible the button has gone through wear and tear as the notebook is put in the bag and out of the bag and etc.

8. santangelo thread starter macrumors regular

yeah this is the problem it has left my house about 3 or 4 times and there is no way it can be getting damaged in my bag as its a padded bag.

i also have a powermac G5 in the same house so it doesnt even get used that much!

9. diehldun macrumors 6502a

My PB has this exact problem, except it looks worse (and tacky). I think over time, after pushing it to open, the finish just rubs off in different areas.

I really hope that next year when I get the MBP, they might redesign that latch button...

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I didn't have that problem with my 12" PowerBook and I don't have that problem with my 15" MacBook Pro. I hope you can get it fixed.

11. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

To answer the question, no, mine's not doing that.

-=|Mgkwho

12. MaCFoxtrot macrumors newbie

Open/close button damaged also on MacBook Pro 17"

Hello,

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro 17" that is only 7 months old. However, I use it with care and I don't "scratch" my button.

Was the button replaced by Apple or isn't it part of the warranty of the product?

Thanks.

13. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I don't see the need to revive a two year old thread but if you are having problems, Apple is the better answer than us.

Good Luck,
    Aaron

14. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

So if someone doesn't seach they get criticized for not using it. Here someone uses search, asks a question and he still gets criticized. Go figure.

Since I have a new MBP, I would also like to know how the button holds up after constant use, and if Apple does anything about it.

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

quite right - well done MaCFoxtrot, you deserve a prize for being new here (welcome) AND using the search - that doesnt happen often!

it may help describe the situation/solutions better

anyway, it may be hard to prove you didnt do it, but try taking it to a genius bar at an apple store

16. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I always wondered how you guys open the latch...

I use my nails lol. Because my thumb(or my other fingers) is(are) too fat to get inside.

17. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

It's still a two year old thread, yes good for using the search feature but really, it's still two years old.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I use my nails as well, except I clip it before it gets too long, so I guess I would call it tip of my finger? ;)

19. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

So what is the answer. If it is 2 years old then OBVIOUSLY you know.

Is this a common issue, and how does Apple handle it?

20. MaCFoxtrot macrumors newbie

Bottom case replaced

I post this reply just to tell you that my button has been replaced by Apple.

As I had dead pixels on my screen, I requested to have it replaced. At the same time, I requested the replacement of my button.

For this, they had to replace the complete bottom case (not only the button). The service center didn't directly agree as it was considered as cosmetic but they called Apple and they agreed to replace it.

Have a nice evening...