Open Finder shortcut

Discussion in 'OS X' started by kbmb, Jan 26, 2008.

1. macrumors 68030

Mar 13, 2007
    Anyone know....does OS X have a global Open a Finder window shortcut key combo? I've looked but haven't found anything.

Looking for something similar to Windows 'Flag + e' to open Explorer.

2. macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2007
    When Finder's the active application, command-N opens a new window.

Since the built-in keyboard shortcut functionality is per-application, you'd need a third-party application (like the old QuickKeys) to make a system-wide keyboard shortcut to 1) activate Finder and 2) hit command-N.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2008
    Easiest way for me is to Alt-Tab to finder (which is always in that list), then Command+N
  4. macrumors 68030

Jul 13, 2007
    MD & ATL,GA
    Do they have something like it now? I want to be able to sleep my computer by just pressing F19.
  5. thread starter macrumors 68030

Mar 13, 2007
    Odd that Apple doesn't have a Open NEW finder window shortcut, since so much of the rest of the OS is keyboard based.

Guess I'll have to live with it, or get used to Cmd Tabbing to Finder and Cmd N to open a new window.

6. macrumors 6502a

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, TX
    could always use quicksilver and set your own custom trigger
  7. JLM
    macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2009
    finder is normally at the top of your dock.

So 'fn' + 'ctrl' + 'f3'
    then press return to select.

(you can use arrow keys to cycle through other dock apps)
  8. macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    Yeah, that'd work perfectly well for both sleeping and for opening Finder.
  9. macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2009
    Option+Command+Space opens a spotlight window, which is essentially Finder.
  10. macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2010
    I usually launch applications from the spotlight menu:
    -> command-space -> start typing name -> enter

Most apps you just need the first letter or two. I find this just as fast as a direct shortcut, as it is consistent for all applications rather than remembering all the different key combinations. This is identical to "windows_key -> type name -> enter" in Win7 etc. I find this very efficient... more so even that task switching with command-tab as the key shortcuts are always the same vs random number of command-tab presses.

However... Finder app doesn't show up in the Spotlight search!

1) Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/
    2) command-option-drag Finder to the Applications folder.

This creates a shortcut which is Spotlight searchable. The sequence is then command-space-"finder"-enter. Not ideal having to type the whole word.... if only spotlight remembered your common choices and promoted them to top of the search results.... the could just use "f" or "fi" then enter.
  11. macrumors 601

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
  12. macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2010
    open folder, not finder

I never want to just 'open finder', I always want to open a folder.

So... go to finder preferences and drag the 'folders' to the top of the list
    Then Cmd-Space to open finder, start typing the folder name, and arrow-down (if necessary, which it isn't if you get a 'top hit') and Cmd-Enter to open the folder.

Works for me...
  13. macrumors 68040

Aug 28, 2009
    Just create a service in Automator.

Have it "Run Applescript"

tell application "Finder"
    	set new_window to make new Finder window
    end tell
    You can get more fancy and set the size and what not, or change have it open with column view, etc.

Save that service and set a shortcut for it in Keyboard Prefs --> Keyboard Shortcuts
  14. macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2010
    Thanks calderone, your solution works like a charm. The only change that I made is to make finder activate after the create new window, rather than before. This avoids having your Mac switch to a different Space if you already have another finder window open on another Space. Here's the modified code:

tell application "Finder"
    	set new_window to make new Finder window
    end tell
  15. macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2011
    short cut keys to finder

hi all,

⌘-Option-Space bar

its came as short cut for Spotlight window
    we can also use it as finder shortcut....

16. macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    Not working

I can't make it work. Only works when selecting text before pressing the shortcut.

I doesn't work either when Finder is the active app. (yes I know I can press CMD-N but I just want one a global shortcut).

17. macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Dec 13, 2007
    You could trigger the script via a global shortcut using Spark or Quicksilver.
  18. macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2011

You make an automator service that does it, and put Run Applescript in the service. Go to System Preferences > Keyboard and then bind the Service to a key combination.
  19. macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Dec 13, 2007
    This does not work globally.
  20. macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2010
    HaHa, NICE workaround. Its perfect.

This opens a finder window. Then you just navigate to where you want to go. Simple solution.
  21. jt6572, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2011
    Perth West Australia
    i found this forum looking for the exact same thing.
    i have Spark installed and have used it to create the shortcut "command + F"

in Spark, double click on Applications, then browse to (your)iMac - System - Library - CoreServices and then

easy peasy! :)

hope this helps.
  22. macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2011
    Opening new finder window

For Snow Leopard -- Go to Keyboard in System Preferences, under Keyboard Shortcuts, go to Keyboard & Text Input: Double click over current/default shortcut for "Move focus to the Dock" change to ⌘, (or ⌘ and whatever symbol you want) Then - you just have to hit ⌘, ⏎ and its done
  23. macrumors newbie

Jul 28, 2011
    Or you could just use the snow leopard built in shortcut

System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Services -> General -> New Finder window
    I have assigned it to ⌥⌘N
  24. macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2012
    If you're not in Finder, the best way to open a new Finder window is to press: