Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
on my previous macbook (running 10.7.2), i had an open firmware password set. on boot, you'd see a flashing question mark IF you didn't hold the option key down (which took you to a login screen).

on my new macbook, this doesn't work. i HAVE set a firmware password, but if i DON'T hold the option key down...the mac boots to the desktop.

any ideas?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Intell based Macs don't use an Open Firmware password. They use an EFI password. To get your Mac to do what you want, you need to set its default startup disk to a removable disk. So the next time it goes to start up, it'll default to the question mark folder because it can't find the removable startup disk.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Intell based Macs don't use an Open Firmware password. They use an EFI password. To get your Mac to do what you want, you need to set its default startup disk to a removable disk. So the next time it goes to start up, it'll default to the question mark folder because it can't find the removable startup disk.

odd, worked on my late 2008 mac, but...thanx for the tip, will hook it up.

EDIT: works, thanx!

Last edited:

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
odd, worked on my late 2008 mac, but...thanx for the tip, will hook it up.

EDIT: works, thanx!

Two things:

1) EFI passwords still exist. Reboot into recovery on Lion (Hold Cmd+R) and it will be in the utilities menu.

2) I would assume you're doing this for security reasons. In which case, why wouldn't you just enable FileVault 2?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
am okay with a firmware password. when i boot my mac without it, there's a (endless) blank screen. most people will get lost there... :D

thanx, i used the Lion DVD i made from my older mac's install, and all is well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.