Open Letter from the Times-Picayune to Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

via Editor & Publisher

The administration's spin machine is not working. Real actions are being weighed and found wanting. Accountability is being demanded. I think Bush is in trouble and the first step is to fire Brown and Chertoff.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the press continues to wake up. good on them.

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Too bad the chances of him committing seppuku are so tragically low.

Fantastic letter.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

A better open letter, one short enough for Bush's dyslexic eyeballs to finish scanning and hang onto his booze-hampered little attention span:

"**** you too, *******."
    - The Editor

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What scares me about the current party running the show is that they will use this as an excuse to grab even more power and control and remove liberties in the name of even more federal govt????

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

For those who may not know. The Times Picayune is the premier newspaper in the New Orleans area.

I was surprised to see it on my driveway this morning. :)

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As cited in Randy Newman's great song "New Orleans Wins the War," in which he manages to rhyme octoroon, macaroon, red balloon and Picayune. :) I sure hope you've heard it.

BTW, I trust you're familiar with the source of my screen name...

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good to hear of their efforts to bring any sort of "normalcy" to residents like you and your family.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

interesting what you've done with your avatar.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Fantastic and thought provoking letter.

I sincerely hope it gets them somewhere.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly was evidently put in charge of responding to this disaster.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Love the new 'tash!
    :D

Actually, I can't help feeling Ignatius J would have risen better to the emergency.

13. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I heard some funny spin this morning from Neil Boortz. He was huffing about how the Governor did not ask for troops so Bush should not be blamed for the slow arrival of help.

For some reason when your state is being demolished by a hurricane and everyone in the world knows about it, you still need to ask for the help. :rolleyes:

14. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Not to mention that as soon as he declared it a federal disaster area, it was brought under the immediate jurisdiction of FEMA and other federal agencies...or so I was of the thought.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And a fat lot of good that did!

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let me just say this about a leader:

When things like this happen, the very first priority should be saving lives. It is not the time to say, "well, we have rules and regulations". This is the time you say f*** the rules , people are dying and we're going to take charge, so sue me later. Trust me, as a team leader in advertising, I've had to break the rules to get a pitch done for a prospective client at the 11th hour. Never once have I been criticized for my decisions-and yes, I even made the president of our company aware of my actions. When you have an emergency, the rules go out the door. Your first priority is to get the job done. BTW- every pitch I've been involved with was won.

Our current administration doesn't have a clue.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

here is a disaster relief request, from the desk of kathleen blanco, dated august 28, addressed to bush through the regional director of FEMA.

we should note that she had declared a state of emergency on august 26.

after anticipating that local and state resources would be overwhelmed, she makes a number of requests, for certain types of funding and also work, such as debris removal.

unless i missed it, she did not, in this document, specifically request troops. but, there's a lot of stuff in this document and i suggest everyone take a look. it should mitigate the claims that the governor didn't bother asking for anything beforehand, she asked for quite a bit.

18. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Boortz is only repeating the spin from Rove and Bartlett, but more importantly he is repeating a lie. Governor Blanco declared a State of Emergancy on the 26 of August, the Friday before the hurricane hit. She then asked for the President to do the same the following day. In her request she specifically requests federal aid. On the same day President Bush declared a Federal State of Emergancy.

In so doing the Department of Homeland Security was committed to doing the job they are supposed to do as they say on their own website and in their National Response Plan (pdf file.) A job they failed to do in anything approaching a timely and effective manner. Now they are lying about the Governor as part of Rove's political spin to protect an incompetent administration.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Why I find incredible is that they are trying to use that as an excuse. Even if it wasn't an outright lie, what a lame way to pass the buck. Since when did this President ask for anyone's opinion before just doing whatever he damned well pleased? You know, before I had read up on this fully, I was ready to blame a lot of the local government as well. But now I can see why they're so upset. If the people from FEMA don't get fired, they're going to take BushCo down with them.

http://www.zebrality.com/media/2005/aaron_broussard.mov

20. katchow macrumors 6502

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I wouldn't bet the farm on it: being provoked into thinking is not what a good 40% of the people seem to excel at in this part of the world

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, that's a new one to me.

Which reminds me, I've heard that somebody does (or did) an ongoing Ignatius Reilly performance in New Orleans, in one of the theaters I suppose. He is supposed to be the very embodiment of Ignatius, which is kind of a scary thought to tell you the truth.

Also, a movie of "Confederacy" was supposed to be in production over the last year or so, with Will Ferrell (ack!) cast in the main role and Lilly Tomlin as Mrs. Reilly. Last I read production had been suspended, which considering the casting, is probably just as well. I'm guessing this film won't ever get made now.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree, yuck. he's had some good roles, but that's a total miscast. i bet Philip Seymour Hoffman would perform it quite nicely, though.