Open letter to Apple about your "Mighty Mouse"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by reykjavik, Aug 22, 2005.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    I've gone through two of your might mice and Ive come to only one conclusion. They are not mighty. They screech whenever you click on them like an old rocking chair and the right click button rarely if ever actually works. (not to mention that its not bluetooth but I guess thats a whole different issue). Anyway, you gave me one for free for my troubles but to be honest, now I just feel like I have two worthless pieces of plastic instead of one. (Thank god for ebay and second-hand suckers)
    Thanks for proving once again that Apple products are not meant to be bought for their hardware.

If you are contemplating buying a Might Mouse, I assure you, you will regret it.
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Let me guess: You didn't like the Mighty Mouse...? :rolleyes:

Seemed fine when I tried it at the local Apple Center, but that was for a relatively short time. I found right-clicking very easy. Didn't get to try horizontal scroll as I used a 30" ACD and even when the Safari window looked ridiculously thin there was still no need for a horizontal scroll bar, and my esthetic reflexes wouldn't let me make it narrower :)p). Vertically scrolling and cmd-clicking (clicking the ball) worked like a charm, and much better than I anticipated from the look of it... :)
  3. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I tried it in the Apple store and I loved it. I will be buying one. :cool:
  4. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004

Yup, I also liked it when I tried it in the apple store. And now I will be bringing them back to the Apple store. If your anywhere in the SoHo area, maybe youll be buying mine!
  5. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    Remind me to avoid you on eBay.

I have a feeling that most Mighty Mouse products are fine. I've tried one in the store and it works fine. It's NOT ok to go sell your defective mouse on eBay and advertise it as a good product - which by your comment "Suckers" seems to be exactly what you're going to do.

I think your problem is one of a kind and dumping your garbage on someone else for a profit is pretty low.
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
  7. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

Sep 11, 2002
    I, too, love the new mouse. It does none of the things you describe. Makes no funny sounds and the right-click works flawlessly. The scroll-ball is also great, except for Firefox. In Firefox, horizontal scrolling is backwards (right goes left, left goes right). This, of course, is Firefox - NOT the mouse. GB, Safari, and a ton of other stuff work just fine.
  8. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    using mine right now, can't get enough of it. plus if the right click doesn't work for you then you're not holding the mighty mouse correctly.
  9. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I'd screech too if you were handling me.
  10. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    You guys will back up Apple no matter what crap they sell you. I dont believe anything that youre saying (you probably believe what youre saying because youre so gung-ho Apple that you refuse to admit youve been screwed). The fact remains that the guy I spoke to on the phone said that the Might Mouse had received so many complaints he understood where I was coming from and was just going to send me a brand new one.

You can read more complaints here
  11. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Jun 23, 2005
    For every complaint, there are thousands who like their new mighty mouse. Don't label the rest of us as sheep or morons just because we don't have any problems with the product we bought.

Personally, I like mine. I had to go back to a wired keyboard to use it, but that's not a big deal. I prefer the MM over the standard 1 button BT mouse.

When the BT model comes out, I'll probably buy it too.

In the end - relax! It's just a mouse!
  12. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. If it works for them then it works for them! Why would they lie about it? Most of the negative comments on the Engaget site that I saw were from people whining that the Mighty Mouse isn't like the colossal Microsoft multi button mouse. I guess it's not for everyone. The Mighty Mouse is new and different and for some people it will take some getting used to. I tried it for an extended period of time at the Apple store and didn't have any problems with it. I would buy one, but I use a Powerbook and don't need a mouse. I feel bad for you that your experience with the Mighty Mouse wasn't a good one. Hopefully you'll find something that meets your needs.
  13. lalcan macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2003
    Left of the center
    Hey Reykjavik!, wiseguy! you are saying that the Apple people were so aware of the problems with the MM that they sent you another one? that would be quite silly if you think about it, if they knew the mouse was crap they would have sent another item perhaps a bluetooth one or another thing, not the same you're complaining about... besides, i got something here that i'm pretty sure will fill your needs if you need more info, PM me... :D
  14. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    I agree with the majority on here.

I tried the mouse for the first time today and loved it. The scroll button is amazing on programms like Logic, and I certainly will be buying one.
  15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Different people like different mice - the most comfortable mouse I've ever used is the infamous 'puck'!
  16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Assuming you have the default right-hand configuration, the Mighty Mouse won't right click with your middle finger while your index finger is resting on the left button area. You have to life your index finger off the left button (leaving it up in the air or resting on the mouseball) before it will treat a press on the right as a right click.
  17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    I've had pro mice that made noise, but the majority were OK. Is it possible that along with us being Apple apologists, you got a couple of bad models? Apple doesn't, as a rule, tell customers that yes, the product is indeed crappy. They generally deny it even if a product is obviously flawed, sometimes needing a class-action. So sounds like the guy was putting his job at risk to tell you all Mighty Mouses are defective.
  18. pammyspyce macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Bay Area, Calif
    I bought mine the day it was announced and I love it. I don't have any of the issues you post about. :cool:
  19. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    Here is a question for all those that have a mighty mouse,

when you right click, do you have to lift your finger of the left button? I also noticed that I can not left click and use the scroll. Is this normal?
  20. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    You are correct, you can not right-click if your index finger is resting on the left-click. You must lift up your index finger before you can right-click, which I do naturally so it's not a problem for me.

As far as using the scroll ball and left clicking, you're right, when you're actively using the left click you can't scroll. If you, say, select text and then try to scroll down it won't scroll, but the mouse does appear to remember the scroll action because the second I let up on the left click I go to where the scroll would have taken me in the first place. Scrolling while clicking doesn't seem practical to me though, so I don't see it as a problem. Just out of curiosity, when would you need to actively left click and scroll at the same time?

Oh, and for the record. I absolutely love my Mighty Mouse, it makes no noise aside from the noise from the internal speaker and the right-click works like a charm. I love it, so I guess that means I'm a sheep too, eh? ;)
  21. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    Why don't you complain there then? Or does something make you special enough to pollute the forum and trash talk everyone in a new thread?
  22. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Hmm, I just tried to hold down the left button and scroll at the same time. It works fine. Dunno what you're doing wrong.