Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Is it possible to set Safari so that when I click a link it opens in a new tab? Without holding down the apple key, I mean. Or is there a piece of software that will allow me to do this?

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Yep. In safari, go to preferences, then general, and look on the bottom. Select open new links in tab in same window.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
That's only from external apps. I mean from within Safari itself.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Not that I know of. However, if you have a programmable multi-button mouse, you could set one of the buttons to be "Cmd-Click" so you don't have to worry about it.

Why is this a big deal, if I may ask?

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
It's not a big deal. My usual surfing is the 'click here and there and read it later' kind. So I like links to open in other tabs behind. I just wondered if it was possible to avoid having to press the apple key each time. Nothing wrong with my arms. Am I the only one who'd like to be able to do this?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MrSmith said:
It's not a big deal. My usual surfing is the 'click here and there and read it later' kind. So I like links to open in other tabs behind. I just wondered if it was possible to avoid having to press the apple key each time. Nothing wrong with my arms. Am I the only one who'd like to be able to do this?
On another note, I believe Opera does this automatically if you've selected tabbed browsing.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I use Safari Stand and it has an option to "open '_blank' link in new tab". Most internal links open in a new tab with this checked.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Safari Stand doesn't open all links in a tab. It still overwrites windows. Presumably it only works for links with targets _blank specified (as the option name implies).

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Know of any free ones? Don't mean to be a tight arse, but it isn't worth paying for.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
On every three button mouse I've used on a Mac, unless you've specifically programmed the middle button to do something, middle-clicking on a link will open it in a new tab. I use a Mighty Mouse with my PowerBook, and I middle-click on almost all links, because I too like them to open in a new tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.