Open links in new tabs w/o pressing the apple?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrSmith, Mar 16, 2006.

1. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Is it possible to set Safari so that when I click a link it opens in a new tab? Without holding down the apple key, I mean. Or is there a piece of software that will allow me to do this?

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yep. In safari, go to preferences, then general, and look on the bottom. Select open new links in tab in same window.

3. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

That's only from external apps. I mean from within Safari itself.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Not that I know of. However, if you have a programmable multi-button mouse, you could set one of the buttons to be "Cmd-Click" so you don't have to worry about it.

Why is this a big deal, if I may ask?

5. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

It's not a big deal. My usual surfing is the 'click here and there and read it later' kind. So I like links to open in other tabs behind. I just wondered if it was possible to avoid having to press the apple key each time. Nothing wrong with my arms. Am I the only one who'd like to be able to do this?

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Sorry I misunderstood. But no, I'd like to be able to do that too. That would be quite nice.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

On another note, I believe Opera does this automatically if you've selected tabbed browsing.

8. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I use Safari Stand and it has an option to "open '_blank' link in new tab". Most internal links open in a new tab with this checked.

9. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Safari Stand doesn't open all links in a tab. It still overwrites windows. Presumably it only works for links with targets _blank specified (as the option name implies).

10. MrSmith thread starter macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Know of any free ones? Don't mean to be a tight arse, but it isn't worth paying for.

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

2 button usb mouse, right-click on a link and say 'open in new tab' works for me...

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

On every three button mouse I've used on a Mac, unless you've specifically programmed the middle button to do something, middle-clicking on a link will open it in a new tab. I use a Mighty Mouse with my PowerBook, and I middle-click on almost all links, because I too like them to open in a new tab.