Open Office and X11, Can you help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elisha cuthbert, Nov 27, 2006.

1. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Ok people so recently i downloaded OpenOffice and tried to install and run it but i got a message saying that X11 hasnt been installed and to please install it to continue. Turns out i do have X11 installed and i dont know what the hell is going on
    so please help me people

2. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That's the only solution I can think of as well, I tried getting OpenOffice to work, to no avail. Neooffice is basically the same, only thing I don't like is that it's still beta software. Cant' see why, it works perfectly for me. Sorry can't be more help. :D

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What kind of computer and OS version is this with? Your sig says iBook G5 so that doesn't help much. :p

And how are you sure that you have X11 installed? How did you install X11? Are you sure that you installed X11 itself and not the X11 developer tools for XCode? That's a mistake a lot of people seem to make, because it isn't clear which is which from the installer packages....

5. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Its and iBook G4 and its OS Version 10.4.8
    hope it helps

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, now, back to the issue of whether you have X11 installed. From System Restore discs, you should insert the FIRST disc. Otherwise insert the Tiger DVD. Then, if you open the disc up in Finder, and scroll down to the bottom of the window, you will see a package icon called "Optional Installs." When you run this and select the destination, you will get a list of what you wish to install. Underneath Applications is X11. You must check that and then proceed with the install.

When you have completed this successfully, you should have an "application" called X11 in your Applications or Utilities folder. Unless you have this, you have not installed X11 successfully (and probably installed something else).

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

In Tiger, X11 exists in /Applications/Utilites/X11.app

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

have you opened it and does it run just fine, also you might try reinstalling X11, or trying to point OpenOffice to the app somehow.

9. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I would echo the prior posters' comments on using NeoOffice instead.

It's a Aqua-native(ish) port of OpenOffice. I've used it and it seems to work fairly well.

Now, you could in theory go the route of installing Fink / Fink Commander, but that would be like using a mallet to swat a fly.

10. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

ok, i got it now.
    i reinstalled X11 from a tiger disc and it now works and it seems to run along alot less buggy than neooffice
    thanks for all the help