Open Office for Intel-Macs available now

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisA, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

It looks like there is an "Intel" build of Open Office availble now. This would be the first Office suite to run native on an Intel Mac.

It's not "universal". There are two versions one for PPC (marked as "stable") and another for Intel (marked as "alpha")

This would finally alow someone to compare performance or PPC code runnig in Roseta vs. the same code running native. So gt both versions if you have an Intel Mac

The development team is asking people to download it and try out and report any bugs and comments back.

I use this in daily work and it realy is comparable to MS Office. Not a "clone". it's different but comparable.

read more at http://www.openoffice.org/

2. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Quick Question, my biggest beef with OpenOffice for Mac is its lack of integration with fonts and stuff liek that. (Hence why I use NeoOffice). Will this Intel version FINALLY allow the use of native OS X fonts? OO 2.0 is far better than NeoOffice, but this lack of fonts thing is a HUGE downside to it. I have OpenOffice 2.0 on my PC and it blows away the OS X version.

3. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Good to hear OpenOffice is off and running with Intel support.

This is doubly good because, in other news, NeoOffice 1.2 final was also released today, without Intel support. A note on the download page says an Intel-compatible Alpha might be out by this summer, so it looks like it'll be a while before Intel Mac users get out of X11 :(

4. ChrisA thread starter macrumors G4

You never will be "out of X11". Open Office will always be ahead of neooffice because it takes the neo office people much time and much effort to port the latest open office releases

Open Office is supported by a multi-billion dollor corporation (Sun) while neo office is done as by a few guys working on their own.

I don't know why OO can't use the native fonts onte various platforms it suports. It's the same way on my Solaris system too OO wants it's own fonts and Solaris and OO are both Sun products. It may be a portability thing. OO runs on so many platforms.